Discover all present users?

Is there an easy way to find out/discover all present users on the server?

Thanks,

Pat.

Hey Pat,

You may use url=http://www.jabber.org/jeps/jep-0055.htmlUser Search[/url] to get that information. Jive Messenger supports searches through a url=http://www.jivesoftware.org/messenger/plugins.jspplugin[/url]. In that link you can also find information about how to install and use the search plugin.

Regards,

– Gato

Hi Pat,

To expand slightly on what Gato said… the search plugin does not support presence searches but could easily be made to do so. If that is a feature you’'d like to see added I can certainly add it to my todo list, or if you are a developer you can check out the code from cvs and make the modification yourself.

Thanks,

Ryan

Hey Ryan,

You are correct. I think that it would be nice to extend the search service so that people may also discover the presence of other users. However, we have to be very careful with privacy and security issues. The standard approach for presences is that only people that are subscribed to a user presence are able to get the presence of the user. For instance, we added support for discovering information about bare JIDs so that people may find out the “available resources” of a user. But this information is only available to users that are already subscribed to the user presence.

Being said that, I think that we may let the search service be configured so that anyone may get the presence of the users or only users that are subscribed to the user’'s presence.

What do you think?

Regards,

– Gato

Hi Gato,

Being said that, I think that we may let the search

service be configured so that anyone may get the

presence of the users or only users that are

subscribed to the user’'s presence.

What do you think?

That all sounds very reasonable. I had held off on doing anything with search-by-presence since it would seem to be of little value if you can only search the presence of users whose presence you were subscribed to. But, your suggestion of allowing the service to be configured to allow anyone to get the presence of anyone else seems like a good solution.

Thanks,

Ryan

I would agree that allowing the service to be configured to allow anyone to get the presence of anyone else seems like a good solution (regardless of privacy).

Thanks,

Pat.

Hey Pat,

Another option would be to use another plugin that is available url=http://www.jivesoftware.org/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=99539#99539here[/url]. However, I like the idea of extending the search plugin to include presence information.

Regards,

– Gato

Hi All,

I’'ve attached a couple of screen shots of how search by presence could be accomplished via the search plugin. My thought is that if the search by presence option has not been enabled in the admin console then the presence checkboxes and result column will not appear on the client side.

I only spent a few minutes working on this so if you don’‘t like it you won’'t hurt my feelings.

Take a look and let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Ryan

This looks really good. Is this available?

Great job.

Pat.

Hi Pat,

No, the changes aren’'t available yet. I just made a couple of quick hacks so I could get some screen shots to show the presence search might work. I wanted to get some feedback before making commiting any code.

Thanks,

Ryan

Hey Ryan,

I liked your new “painted” windows. My only comment is that the text in the Admin Console gives the idea that if you enable the search by presence then users will be able to search for any status (ie. Away, DND, etc.) while in fact users are only able to search for online/offline users.

Regards,

– Gato

Hi Gato,

Thanks for the feedback. So, I guess the question then becomes, should people be allowed to search by different types of status, or should I just reword the text in the Admin Console to something like, “By default, searches based on presence (Offline/Online) are not allowed to protect users privacy.”?

Thanks,

Ryan

Hey Ryan,

Every time I heard a requirement about searching users by presence they were about online/offline users. So I would say that we should initially have support for that and if in the future we need to improve the functionality we may do it later.

One thing to consider is that if the user is online then you can include his last known presence so the user that is doing the search may find out the real presence status of each returned user. And if the user is offline you may return the status sent in the last unavailable presence (if that info is available).

Let me know what you think.

Regards,

– Gato

Hi Gato,

Every time I heard a requirement about searching

users by presence they were about online/offline

users. So I would say that we should initially have

support for that and if in the future we need to

improve the functionality we may do it later.

That was what I was hoping you’'d say.

One thing to consider is that if the user is online

then you can include his last known presence so the

user that is doing the search may find out the real

presence status of each returned user. And if the

user is offline you may return the status sent in the

last unavailable presence (if that info is

available).

Ok, thanks for the tips. I will for sure include those suggestions.

Thanks,

Ryan