Display names for remote users

Hi,

I have 2 wildfire servers using s2s, I can see ‘‘users’’ from both servers, but if the user is not on the local server it’'s display name will be shows as the full JID (user@remote.domain.com), is there a way to fix this? So that all users; be it remote or local; have nice ‘‘Display Names’’?

As a sidenote, is it correct that ‘‘remote defined groups’’ are not visible / usable on another server?

Thanks.

Hey darkl0rd,

I guess you are using shared groups. As you noticed when adding a remote user you will get this JID and not his name in your roster. An idea we have is to retrieve the vCard of the remote user and use that name in the roster. However, for possible performance reasons we decided not to do that and just display the JID. Anyway, there is a TODO for that improvement though I’'m not sure when we will be able to implement it (if we ever do). If you want to implement it I would love to help you do it.

Regards,

– Gato

Ok, understood. However V-CARD’‘s do work for users in remote (shared) groups. If I obtain the user’‘s information, I can see all the fields filled in. (Including DisplayName etc.), wouldn’‘t it be very easy to by default use ‘‘DisplayName’’ or the ‘‘CN’’ attribute, and if they don’'t exist revert to the full JID?

Hey darkl0rd,

Yep, vCards work fine across servers. I meant to say that we haven’'t implemented that logic yet. If you check out the UserNameManager class (line 88) you will find a nice TODO with this idea.

Regards,

– Gato