Do rosters get saved?

Using Psi client, with 2 users, one my jabber.com user, and the other, my jive messenger user… exiting everything, and restarting seems to preserve the roster for my jabber.com user, but not the roster for my jive messenger user.

Is that because I exited the jive messenger, and the internal database is RAM? Must I use a “real” database to preserve rosters?

Or is there some other hidden setting I didn’'t see, or a missing feature in jive messenger?

Hi,

Rosters are preserved in Messenger using any database with a JDBC driver. If your roster is not surviving Messenger restarts something is not being configured properly. What database are you using? MySQL? Oracle? or the built in HSQLDB?

What exact procedure did you use to create a user and a roster?

Did you log into the Messenger web admin interface and check that the user accounts were created?

I suspect that your Messenger server was not setup properly. You should check your Messenger configuration file in config/jive-messenger.xml and see if the xmpp.domain property is set to the same value you’'re using in Psi to login (it should be the name of the server and the domain part of your XMPP address. For example, if your domain is ‘‘server.com’’ then your Psi server should be set to ‘‘server.com’’ and the full address it uses is ‘‘username@server.com’’.

-iain

Thanks for the response. I configured using the built in HSQLDB, but other than selecting to use it, I did no configuration for it.

I created the user from the admin interface in the web browser, and then using the Psi client, added a couple people to the roster. Of course, they were ids @jabber.com, so maybe because they were not local, they were not stored?

This is my first attempt to use Jabber IM, Jive Messenger, Psi, and all the rest, so I appreciate your help as I am much less than an expert about this stuff.

I think, from your description, that I was doing the right sort of thing with the names, but the roster did contain people from @jabber.com. Only.

Hi,

XMPP addresses works the same as email addresses. They are broken up into three parts that look like this: user@server.com/resource

The ‘‘resource’’ is optional and is used to indicate a particular delivery point of an XMPP packet. This allows multiple logins to the same user account to be active (e.g. iain@jivesoftware.com/work, iain@jivesoftware.com/home).

As with email, each server maintains it’'s own users accounts, determines their essential behavior (setting limits on what can be sent/received, etc).

When you add a user to the roster, you indicate the user to add by their full address: user@server.com (without the resource). For messenger users, if your messenger server domain is set to ‘‘server.com’’ and you can communicate with any other user with an account on the same domain (’‘server.com’’). Messenger currently does not support server-to-server (s2s) communication so you are only able to communicate with users on the same server. So for example, you cannot add ‘‘user@jabber.com’’ to your roster because the server is not the same.

Try to create two user accounts on Messenger, note their address (username@servername) then use Psi to add the users to each other’‘s roster. XMPP will require confirmation for the subscription so you should see the psi clients pop up messages asking you whether it should allow the subscription. if you respond with ‘‘yes’’ you’‘ll see the rosters with presence indications for the users. When a user logs on/off, you’'ll see their presence change.

We plan on adding s2s support to Messenger soon. Most of our customers so far run Messenger for internal, or closed user communities so s2s hasn’'t been that high a priority.

-iain

OK, thanks. That certainly explains the behavior I was seeing, and getting confused by.

I’‘d read a diatribe somewhere that made me investigate Jabber, and in that diatribe it talked much about the interoperability of Jabber servers, that every ISP should have one, etc. So my expectations were a little different than the reality of Jive Messenger’'s current capabilities.

I’'ll look forward to future versions.

Oh, by the way, the RhymBox client allows me to sign on, but never activates its tools menu subentries, so it isn’'t too useful with Jive. You might want to adjust the “compatible” client list.

Thanks for the pointer about RhymBox. Unfortunately the problem is on their side so we’‘re unable to fix it ourselves (I’‘ve filed a bug report). I’'ll look into adjusting the compatibility list asap.

-iain