Do you want to localize this server to Simplified Chinese?

Hi, This is a wonderful program.

And I want to localize it to Simplified Chinese in my spare time.

Can you tell me how to begin and give me some instruction?

Best regards

Zheng Wei

Hey Zheng,

Some time ago there was some interest in the community for supporting Chinese. You can read this url=http://www.jivesoftware.org/forums/thread.jspa?forumID=40&threadID=13729thread[/url].

I don’'t know if Tom or anybody else started to change the JSP pages to use resource bundles. If you want we can convert a couple of pages to use resource bundles as an example so you can then continue converting the rest of the pages.

Regards,

– Gato

Just an update. Today we checked in some JSP pages that were modified to use Resource Bundles. Tom is going to start to translate the rest of the pages into Chinese. If you want to help him you can get in contact with him.

FYI, the modified pages were: muc-server-props-edit-form.jsp, muc-sysadmins and muc-history-settings.jsp.

For translating the rest of the pages you must:

1. Include this taglib <%@ taglib uri=“http://java.sun.com/jstl/fmt” prefix=“fmt”%> if it is not already included in the JSP

2. Replace the English texts with <fmt:message key=“YOUR-KEY-HERE” />. The key should follow the same idea we are using. The key should be added to messenger_i18n_en.properties and your new properties file

3. Remember to change the page title with something like this: LocaleUtils.getLocalizedString(“groupchat.history.settings.title”);

Regards,

– Gato

Thank you!

I will contact tom _, and get some information.

Best regards

Zheng Wei

And I think if we want to make international program, you need add several directory for each country. Also need more version control method across different language.

A translation tools will be very helpful. I have ibm TranslationManager software. And IBM’'s international mathods is that developer send us newest resource files and we translate it then return, so developer can build it in newest program build.

Sounds too complex for this one? But this method can use min translation effort to keep up with newest source file.

Best regards

Zheng Wei

I have checked what you say and understanded what I should do.

Now I’‘m waiting tom’'s responds, or if he have no time to do translate, I will help.

For the zh_CN key name, what about such as “startup.name.zh_CN”.

For the properties files name, I think messenger_i18n_zh_CN.properties is OK.

I’'m not familiar with how to use CVS checkin files, would you please give a mail address to upload file to you.

And should I add new key in both en and zh_CN properties files?

Hey Zheng,

Any translation tool that you can use that may ease the work of translation is a very good idea. The translation tools that I know aren’'t very good in their job.

Regarding the way to track changes among the many possible translations what we usually do is keep a log of changes between each version and also tag the translation file with the version of the product that is translating. This way it’'s easy to identity the delta of changes.

I believe that messenger_setup.properties is not being used at all. I will check that and remove the file if that is the case. The name of your files is correct.

I think that you may want to split the translation work with Tom so you can finish it faster and with less effort. Feel free to send me the translations to my email: gaston at jivesoftware dot com.

Thanks,

– Gato

Hi Gaston,

why not just import zh_CN properties file instead of en properties file for zh_CN version?

so we need not to change key name and jsp files at all.

BTW IBM translation tools is very powerful, it has many markup for variety of files and there is markup just for java properties file, include memory analysis, dict, tag protect etc. _

Best regards

Zheng Wei

I have contacted with tom, and I will translate messenger_i18n_zh_CN.properties, when I finish, I will send the file to tom and cc to you. Any information about tranlation, please let me know._

In the further, I will be responsible for translation of any update properties files, tom will be responsible for make any code changes.

my mail address is pro_zw@tom.com, I also have a jabber ID pro_zw@jivesoftware.com. _

I have contacted with tom, and I will translate messenger_i18n_zh_CN.properties, when I finish, I will send the file to tom and he will send you all changed files together. Any information about tranlation, please let me know._

In the further, I will be responsible for translation of any update properties files, tom will be responsible for make any code changes.

my mail address is pro_zw@tom.com, I also have a jabber ID pro_zw@jabber.org. _

Best regards

Zheng Wei