Does 3.9.3 Kill LDAP Groups?

Ooops! There is that option. Okay, here are the logs …
openfirelogs.tgz (36255 Bytes)

2014.06.30 10:34:52 org.jivesoftware.openfire.ldap.LdapGroupProvider - “CN=“G MOCC/UC Reg Staff”,OU=“60 Users”,OU=“60 MOCC””: close quote appears before end of component

javax.naming.InvalidNameException: “CN=“G MOCC/UC Reg Staff”,OU=“60 Users”,OU=“60 MOCC””: close quote appears before end of component

hmmmm

Yeah, who puts forward slashes in a name? Eeek. I don’t think it’s related, but I renamed two groups that had forward slash characters in them. I am waiting to see if it has any effect.

Hey wroot, sorry for the late reply. Weekend/plague and other things. We always update in incrementals because the update to admin message annoys me. We are currently at 3.9.2 and I decided to update to 3.9.3 to get rid of the message (plus get some bug fixes). I backed everything up as per the KB article (we are using internal DBs) and installed the new version.

It didn’t happen right away but as Spark clients started to restart, our groups disappeared as I described above. We went into the admin console and tried to reset them and it attempted to work, but with varying degrees of success. Some clients would get groups back and other would lose them. We eventually decided to revert back to the backup which is based off of 3.9.2. This made everything work again.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you need any additional information.

Yes. What Steve said. We found resetting groups and messing around with permissions (unchecking them and rechecking them) seemed to temporarily solve the issue, but then it comes back and it has to be applied all over again.

I have filed this as OF-830.

Eddi, i suppose you don’t have 3.9.3 logs, but maybe older logs are still there. Check if you have similar LDAP errors like Steve has (lost connection to LDAP, etc.).

Checking the changelog the only related patch is this OF-779. Will ping Tom about reverting this patch. Then you would be able to test it with the nightly builds.

Hello wroot. I don’t think so. Users started complaining around May 16th that they noticed groups went missing. I can’t find any logs around that time that either suggest lost connection or otherwise. I might have done a Ctrl + a and then delete all before copying across my backup. That’s what I generally do as I don’t know when Windows wants to attempt a merge or not.

I just build new 3.9.3 server and have this group issue. Have we narrowed it down to reverting back to 3.9.1 or 3.9.2?

Thanks!

Bill, try the 3.9.2 version https://igniterealtime.org/downloads/download-landing.jsp?file=openfire/openfire _3_9_2.exe

and report if this versions has this issue or not.

Am I the only one that is NOT having this issue with 3.9.3?! lol

Thanks… wroot…

Did any of the database structure change from 3.9.2 to 3.9.3? Wondering if I can just overwrite my /opt/openfire 3.9.3 directory with 3.9.2??

I was able to downgrade to 3.9.1 from 3.9.3, so no problems with the database. Usually i delete everything from /opt/openfire (except database /conf and /resources/security folder) and then copy new files. Or do backup, delete all, extract new files, then copy database, conf and security folders from backup).

Well… I’m running Openfire on Ubuntu & MySQL database… so to go from 3.9.3 to 3.9.2, I downloaded 3.9.2.tar.gz and uploaded to /opt. I have my groups back but I have issues when I go to Admin Console > Users/Groups > Groups, then go to one of my AD groups and click on one. I get a error:

HTTP ERROR 500

Problem accessing /group-edit.jsp. Reason:

Group with name IM+-+AMS+Office+Staff not found.

Caused by:

org.jivesoftware.openfire.group.GroupNotFoundException: Group with name IM+-+AMS+Office+Staff not found.

I also don’t remember the URLs being weird like this: http://im:9090/group-edit.jsp?group=IM%2B-%2BAMS%2BOffice%2BStaff

Could my 3.9.2 download package be wrong? Or what do you think?

My steps to revert to 3.9.2:

mv /opt/openfore /opt/openfire-3.9.2

tar xvfz openfire-3.9.2.tar.gz

cp -R /opt/openfire-3.9.3/conf /opt/openfire/

cp -R /opt/openfire-3.9.3/resources/security /opt/openfire/resources/

rebooted

Spark reconnects and I see the AD Groups correctly but can’t manage their Shared settings…

Oh, you are now hitting 3.9.2 bug, which was fixed in 3.9.3 - OF-782

That’s because of spaces in the names of groups. So you can use a workaround (replacing chars in the url) or rename groups without spaces or use 3.9.1.

HAHA! Awesome for me!

Gonna try 3.9.1 now I guess… thanks for your help! I’ll keep an updates posted if they seem useful to others…

I think I have caught this problem in the act. I am providing debug logs here for wroot, and whoever else would like to take look.

If you have questions about my environment, shoot me a PM or an email. I want to help any way that I can.

I am also making a note in the bug tracker, but I had to post here to upload the attachment.
debuglogs.tgz (432141 Bytes)

Not sure if there is something useful in these logs, but i have attached them to the ticket.

So I tried downgrading to 3.9.1 and it failed big time… so I went back to 3.9.2.

In 3.9.2, if I click on a Group to adjust it’s shared permissions, the link looks like this:

/group-edit.jsp?group=IM%2B-%2BAMS%2BManagers

But if I edit it correctly for spaces, the page pulls up:

/group-edit.jsp?group=IM%20-%20AMS%20Managers

I’m going to see if this actually works if permissions are changed…

It probably won’t do much as 3.9.2 is almost the same as 3.9.3. What was wrong with 3.9.1? Did downgrade fail or was there some other issues?