Does 3.9.3 Kill LDAP Groups?

Yea… my downgrade failed… Openfire wouldn’t start… I copied the files over from 3.9.3 like I did for 3.9.2 downgrade but … daemon wouldn’t start…

It appears to be functioning properly when I edit the URL to modify the Group Permissions…

After reading through a closed bug for 3.9.1 I see that there was something to correct groups that contain an @ symbol in the name. That got me to wondering what other groups that I may have in my Active Directory which might contain stupid characters.

I searched one at a time for every standard ASCII '“special character” and I did encounter a user with a left parenthese in the username. It looks like someone had tried to copy and paste a phone number and they pasted it right into the username field! Since this was a disabled user, it went unnoticed. That could have been causing me grief?

After fixing this account I restarted the openfire service and I haven’t had the group problems since then. But it’s only been a couple of hours.

I will report back in the next few days. In the meantime, if this fixes matters, it might be good of OpenFire to search for **any **non alpha-numeric characters and find some way to handle them (even if it’s only to ignore them and drop warnings into the log).

Great report, I’ll ping Tom about this

Having removed special characters from all group and account names - I have resolved this issue.

I am adding some notes to the official bug report too.

Shot in the dark, but I had this issue and added “cache.username2roster.size” to the system properties with a value of “2000000” bytes. My groups have stuck around ever since. Users still complain of folks disappearing from their roster though. It only happens to users in one group and the ones that disappear seem to have no rhyme or reason (some can see all 14 members of the group, others only 4, a couple can only see two.) I reboot the user’s PC and it fixes the roster for a bit but it always happens again. Any thoughts?

We are working on a fix for this, should be resolved soon. You can follow status here: OF-830.