E-mail notification of off-line messages

Hi,

As a big end user fan of this openfire and clearspace technology I was wondering …

Our users still believe e-mail is on-line and pursue so many e-mails with phone calls… anyway if we could consider spark / openfire off-line messages to be simply sent as e-mails this would complete the logical flow when managing expectations and pushing people to on-line resources such as these great products.

Without me creatign code can anyone suggest a way to get off-line messages sent as e-mails?

Is this a dev request or can it already be done in openfire?

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

All the pieces are in place within Openfire to do what you are looking for but no one (to my knowledge) has put them together. Depending on how much flexibility you wanted it would should take a developer no more than a handful of hours to develop and test a plugin that would add this sort of feature to Openfire.

Hope that helps,

Ryan

If i understand what do you mean here you have basic php code:

Connect to database first.

$title = ‘You have new messages.’;

$html = "

Hello %user%,

You have %messages% unread messages on your account.

Login to check!";

$head = “From: Domain <info@domain.com>\r\n”;

$head .= “MIME-Version: 1.0\r\n”;

$head .= “Content-type: text/plain; charset=utf-8\r\n”;

$head .= “Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit\r\n\r\n”;

$q = “SELECT COUNT(*) as messages, jiveOffline.username, jiveUser.email FROM jiveOffline LEFT JOIN jiveUser ON jiveUser.username = jiveOffline.username WHERE LOCATE(’@’, jiveUser.email)>0 GROUP BY username ORDER BY messages DESC”;

$r = mysql_query ($q);

while ($x=mysql_fetch_array($r)) {

if ($x[‘messages’]>1) {

$count++;

$b = $html;

$b = str_replace (’%user%’, $x[‘username’], $b);

$b = str_replace (’%messages%’, $x[‘messages’], $b);

mail ($x[‘email’], $title, $b, $head);

echo “\rSent: $count.”;

}

}

If you have many account run it from bash with command: php -f thisfile.php

I wonder if this is somethign that JiveSoftware could do under a commercial development. I would be fairly happy to fund a small development nd then have this passed back as either an enterprise plug-in or public none supported one?

Just looked like a good idea to us - in order to get users thinking in the correct terms ;:^0

Out for now

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Actually, what I was referring to was writing a plugin that would iteract with Openfire at the API level, specifically with the OfflineMessageListener. By going the plugin route you could have Openfire send a email containing the body, time, sender, etc. of the message as soon as it was stored offline.

Hope that helps,

Ryan

Hi,

Plugin - works for me. Just the small queston of who I can get to write this for us - we are not a software company and any dev we do is in SQL server and sometimes .Net (if we must).

Any ideas of a source for plugin dev?

Out for now

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Funny you should ask but both Jive Software and my company, Version 2 Software could certainly develop such a plugin for you. Drop either (or both) of us a line and we can discuss the details.

Thanks,

Ryan

Hey Ryan,

If you want to take this one go ahead.

Regards,

– Gato

dombiak_gaston wrote:

If you want to take this one go ahead.

That’s very kind of you, sir.

I wasn’t sure if this was something you would want to roll into Enterprise, and didn’t want to step on anyone’s toes.

I think that it would be a nice addition to the open source edition. If you want to contribute back the improvement then I would be glad to merge your changes.

Thanks,

– Gato

I would also be very interested in such a plugin. Where could I get more info regarding the development of this idea?

Thanks!

I think that would be a great plugin - but a reall killer would be a SMS plugin. That is something I think I’ve seen alot of people mention.

Any takers ?