Enabling LDAP over SSL for Active Directory

I’‘m attempting to setup a connection to Active Directory over SSL as our AD infrastructure requires all connections be signed. I’‘m using a certificate from StartCom, which means I need to install their root certificate. I’‘ve installed the root certificate into Trusted Root Authorities (Computer Local) and I’'ve created a certificate here for the server in question and imported that into Personal (Computer Local). I used OpenSSL to tie the private key to the certificate. I also installed the root certificate on the OpenFire server.

However, this setup doesn’‘t seem to be working when I try and get OpenFire to connect. I’'ve changed the port to 636 and enabled SSL in the advanced options, while leaving the others at their defaults, but it looks like the connection is rejected.

Test: Connection Settings

Error connecting to the LDAP server. Ensure that the directory server is running at the specified host name and port and that a firewall is not blocking access to the server.

Host =
Base DN = OU=Domain Controllers,DC=,DC=co,DC=uk I’‘ve been looking at the Microsoft article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321051 but elements like Enhanced Key usage mean nothing to mean, and I’‘m rather hoping someone has tried to setup AD w/ SSL before and might be able to give me a pointer. The console logs the following: javax.naming.CommunicationException: simple bind failed: server_name:636 Root exception is javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: Remote host closed connection during handshake
at com.sun.jndi.ldap.LdapClient.authenticate(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.jndi.ldap.LdapCtx.connect(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.jndi.ldap.LdapCtx.(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.jndi.ldap.LdapCtxFactory.getUsingURL(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.jndi.ldap.LdapCtxFactory.getUsingURLs(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.jndi.ldap.LdapCtxFactory.getLdapCtxInstance(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.jndi.ldap.LdapCtxFactory.getInitialContext(Unknown Source)
at javax.naming.spi.NamingManager.getInitialContext(Unknown Source)
at javax.naming.InitialContext.getDefaultInitCtx(Unknown Source)
at javax.naming.InitialContext.init(Unknown Source)
at javax.naming.ldap.InitialLdapContext.(Unknown Source)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.ldap.LdapManager.getContext(LdapManager.java:403)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.ldap.LdapManager.getContext(LdapManager.java:340)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.admin.setup.setup_002dldap_002dserver_005ftest_jsp._j spService(setup_002dldap_002dserver_005ftest_jsp.java:67)
at org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:97)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:802)
at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.handle(ServletHolder.java:491)
at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.ja va:1074)
at com.opensymphony.module.sitemesh.filter.PageFilter.doFilter(PageFilter.java:39)
at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.ja va:1065)
at org.jivesoftware.util.LocaleFilter.doFilter(LocaleFilter.java:65)
at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.ja va:1065)
at org.jivesoftware.util.SetCharacterEncodingFilter.doFilter(SetCharacterEncodingF ilter.java:41)
at org.jivesoftware.admin.PluginFilter.doFilter(PluginFilter.java:69)
at org.jivesoftware.admin.AuthCheckFilter.doFilter(AuthCheckFilter.java:98)
at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.handle(ServletHandler.java:365)
at org.mortbay.jetty.security.SecurityHandler.handle(SecurityHandler.java:185)
at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.SessionHandler.handle(SessionHandler.java:181)
at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandler.handle(ContextHandler.java:689)
at org.mortbay.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.handle(WebAppContext.java:391)
at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandlerCollection.handle(ContextHandlerCollect ion.java:146)
at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerCollection.handle(HandlerCollection.java:114)
at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:139)
at org.mortbay.jetty.Server.handle(Server.java:285)
at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handleRequest(HttpConnection.java:457)
at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection$RequestHandler.headerComplete(HttpConnection.j ava:751)
at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseNext(HttpParser.java:500)
at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseAvailable(HttpParser.java:209)
at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handle(HttpConnection.java:357)
at org.mortbay.io.nio.SelectChannelEndPoint.run(SelectChannelEndPoint.java:329)
at org.mortbay.thread.BoundedThreadPool$PoolThread.run(BoundedThreadPool.java:475)
Caused by: javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: Remote host closed connection during handshake
at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.readRecord(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.performInitialHandshake(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.writeRecord(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.AppOutputStream.write(Unknown Source)
at java.io.BufferedOutputStream.flushBuffer(Unknown Source)
at java.io.BufferedOutputStream.flush(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.jndi.ldap.Connection.writeRequest(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.jndi.ldap.LdapClient.ldapBind(Unknown Source)
… 44 more
Caused by: java.io.EOFException: SSL peer shut down incorrectly
at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.InputRecord.read(Unknown Source)
… 52 more Message was edited by: Quitch Attempting a connection using ldp.exe to the domain controller on port 636 using SSL (with the relevant root certificate in my computer’'s Trusted Local Root Authority folder) I get the following: ld = ldap_sslinit("", 636, 1);

Error <0x0> = ldap_set_option(hLdap, LDAP_OPT_PROTOCOL_VERSION, LDAP_VERSION3);
Error <0x51> = ldap_connect(hLdap, NULL);
Server error:
Error <0x51>: Fail to connect to .

Message was edited by: Quitch

Have you tried using the Global Catalog port, 3268? It accepts ssl connections.