Error 0xc000007b when running Spark

After upgrading to Windows XP SP3, I see this error every time I try to run Spark.

The application failed to initialize properly (0xc000007b).  Click OK to terminate.

I have no idea what’s causing this… Any ideas anyone?

Try reinstalling the program.

I forgot to mention, I get the exact same error whenever I run any of the installers…

I’m starting to think this is some kind of .NET Framework problem. I see similar experiences with people installing the Paint.NET application, so I downloaded and tried installing that and am having similar issues.

Could it logically be a .NET issue? I have multiple computers here with this problem right now. Obviously no more SP3 until I can get this squared away.

,Net is not used in this application at all. It sounds to me like you have a corrupt sp3 install. Spark installs and works fin on my SP3 boxes.

I found out what the problem was.

I had just recently installed the latest version of Symantec Endpoint Protection on this machine (v11, I know, SAV always causes problems, I should’ve caught this). It turns out that the “Application & Device Control” component in the latest version of SEP has an incompatibility with the TPM chip in certain Dell Latitude laptops. This flaw causes lots of different apps to throw this same error, Spark just happens to be the only one of them we use in our office. Removing this component from the SEP suite has solved the problem. See this thread on the Symantec forums for a detailed description of the SEP flaw.

Hm, i’m now doing upgrade to SEP in our office and was just about to install it on our Dell laptops. This information could be useful. Haven’t seen any problems with NET and SP3 before.