Error starting Jive Messenger on Windows 2003

Hi,

Yesterday im have installed Jive Messenger on a Windows 2003 + SP1 Box, created users (without using any kind of authentication else the standard), … Today, all user have logged fine.

When im trying to install a apache in same box, the thing goes ugly, and i need to reboot machine to remove the apache service… when the machine reboot, the jive return this message and do not start:

java.lang.ClassFormatError: Unknown constant tag 122 in class file org/dom4j/QName

at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)

at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)

at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)

at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100(Unknown Source)

at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)

at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)

at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)

at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(Unknown Source)

at org.dom4j.tree.QNameCache.createQName(QNameCache.java:251)

at org.dom4j.tree.QNameCache.get(QNameCache.java:123)

at org.dom4j.DocumentFactory.createQName(DocumentFactory.java:199)

at org.dom4j.tree.NamespaceStack.createQName(NamespaceStack.java:392)

at org.dom4j.tree.NamespaceStack.pushQName(NamespaceStack.java:374)

at org.dom4j.tree.NamespaceStack.getQName(NamespaceStack.java:213)

at org.dom4j.io.SAXContentHandler.startElement(SAXContentHandler.java:234)

at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.startElement(Unkno wn Source)

at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLNSDocumentScannerImpl.scanStartEleme nt(Unknown Source)

at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLNSDocumentScannerImpl$NSContentDispa tcher.scanRootElementHook(Unknown Source)

at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl$Fragment ContentDispatcher.dispatch(Unknown Source)

at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanDocu ment(Unknown Source)

at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(Unknown Source)

at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(Unknown Source)

at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XMLParser.parse(Unknown Source)

at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.parse(Unknown Source)

at org.dom4j.io.SAXReader.read(SAXReader.java:465)

at org.dom4j.io.SAXReader.read(SAXReader.java:365)

at org.jivesoftware.util.XMLProperties.buildDoc(XMLProperties.java:433)

at org.jivesoftware.util.XMLProperties.(XMPPServer.java:118)

at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Source)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.Class.newInstance0(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Unknown Source)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.starter.ServerStarter.start(ServerStarter.java:82)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.starter.ServerStarter.main(ServerStarter.java:46)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)

at com.exe4j.runtime.LauncherEngine.launch(Unknown Source)

at com.exe4j.runtime.WinLauncher.main(Unknown Source)[/b]

Now what? The machina does not any other JVM, only the one from JIVE, and im not edit any jar or class file.

Thanks for your help.

Flávio Carmo

Cuiaba-MT-Brazil

I’‘ll guess that your classpath got update with another version of an xml parser. Open a Command window and try “echo %CLASSPATH%”. If there’'s something there, please share it on the forum.

You can unset the CLASSPATH by updating your Environment Variables (which is a right click on “My Computer” > Properties. Select the advanced tab and select “Environment Variables”). Just clear the value set for classpath. Try running it again and see if that works. You might also want to check to see which Java version is the default. Open a command window and type java -version.

Noah

Noah,

i´ve not the CLASSPATH set on my box, and the only java is the one who came with JIVE, the JRE 1.5.0_04.

None windows update or another software like (XML, java, etc…) was made in this box since i´ve installed JIVE.

Flávio Carmo

Cuiabá-MT-Brazil

I thought you said you installed apache? Was it working ever, or just after you installed apache?

Noah

Noah,

in this same box, im trying to install a wiki, so i need to install a apache in this box. But, the wiki goes wrong, so i´ve uninstall apache. But, this is the only software ive installed.

java, windows updates, patch, none of then was installed. And, by that, what is the Admin Web Server of Jive?

No change at all…

If you do an echo %CLASSPATH%[/b] what does it show? My hunch is that when apache was installed, it updated your xml parser. Even if you uninstall apache, there still might be some references to it. Just to rule that out and for my clarification, did Jive messenger work prior to installing apache?

Noah

PS. Admin server is running on Resin (http://www.caucho.com/), I believe.

there is no one CLASSPATH on my box… The only reply is %CLASSPATH%[/b]…

This machine already have a Apache 2x running on port 80. Then ive installed jive. work fine for 2 days. Then i install the 2nd apache (1.3), on port 81. The wiki goes wrong (im dont like twiki…), and after remove it, a reboot was needed to full remove apache 1.3 service. Then jive dont start…

By that way, the Twiki needed CygWin, Apache 1.3…

I just wanted to make sure about the classpath, I won’'t bring it up again :).

So everything was working then apache 1.3 was installed and removed/deleted. What installer did you use for apache 1.3?

Noah

from the .msi[/b] from oficial Apache… But, why my CLASSPATH (here we go again…) dont work?

Another question: when i made the install of jive, i´ve choose the database included, but i dont know how make a backup to restore the user data on a fresh instalation (my 1st choice if this problem cant be solved…)…

Flavio

You said you didn’'t have any old version of java installed. Can you confirm this? Do a search on your c drive for java or rt.jar.

Noah

Done… The only java and rt.jar is the one of JIVE… If i reinstall it, how i can restore the users database? Im almost giving up…

Another question: when i made the install of jive,

i´ve choose the database included, but i dont know

how make a backup to restore the user data on a fresh

instalation (my 1st choice if this problem cant be

solved…)…

you can backup your users (and groups if using Shared groups) with userImportExport plugin, or just manually copy /jive_messenger_dir/embedded-db/ dir to some other place.

You can copy the files to a safe place and then when you configure the server initially you can configure a standalone database with the following properties: Note, you don’'t have a drop down option so just ignore that initial dropdown.

org.hsqldb.jdbcDriver

jdbc:hsqldb:file:c:/path/to/saved/files

username: SA

password:

My guess, is that Apache found our Jive JAVA_HOME and updated it with a different xml parser, but it’'s just a guess.

Cheers,

Noah

if it is true, how i can change the XML parser back to original?