FastPath / Web Chat

I’ve been able to setup my FastPath qeueus. Members are able to sign in via Spark, and the web admin interface says we have 5/5 members signed in. Green light, good to go… Only problem, I cannot get the “Tools” portion, the web chat area, to work. I fill in the server name, press continue, and it spins for a few seconds… The I just get a screen that says “Click any of the following icons,” but there are none. None of the webchat icons are showing up at all. There’s a disconnect here somewhere…

One other thing… I’ve setup FastPath before on another server, and I noticed that whenever the server or OpenFire had to be restarted, we always had to re-run the “tools” screen to get the webchat working again. It seems to automatically erase whatever config files it’s writing. Anyone know anything about this?

Can anyone shed some light on this for me? Your help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Tim

Only problem, I cannot get the “Tools” portion, the web chat area, to work. I fill in the server name, press continue, and it spins for a few seconds…

The Jabber XMPP domain must be the same as the server host name. This was covered in many previous forum posts. If it is not, the webchat XMPP protocol communication will attempt to connect to the Openfire server using the wrong domain, causing the connection to be dropped. Did you happen to see anything in the logs about it? I don’t know why the XMPP domain requirement was devised in the specification, but it sure does cause a lot of configuration breakage.

You could use my version of the webchat plugin. It adds support for specifying both the server name and XMPP domain separately, see http://www.igniterealtime.org/community/docs/DOC-1744

I’ve setup FastPath before on another server, and I noticed that whenever the server or OpenFire had to be restarted, we always had to re-run the “tools” screen to get the webchat working again.

When the webchat plugin gets restarted, it deletes the $OPENFIRE_HOME/plugins/webchat/WEB-INF subdir, including the chat-settings.xml. As a result, the webchat connection settings need to be reset. Alternatively the webchat sources and build ant setting could be modified to bundle these settings.

HTH

Could you elaborate on the deletion of chat-settings.xml? Without altering the source of the web chat plugin, is it possible to prevent it from erasing its settings every time it is restarted?

I haven’t researched this function at all, but I suspect when reloading a plugin from the Admin Console, Openfire will delete the directory from the plugins directory, then load the webchat.war plugin. When the plugin gets reloaded, it starts the setup code. This does not happen via an Openfire Jabber server restart, because that is a different function unless something is broken(?).