Feature Negotiation (JEP-0020)

I’‘m new to the entire jabber/xmpp and jive scene, and I’‘m browsing around for the last couple of days to gain a bit of a base knowledge (so I can develop a jabber/xmpp(/jive?) based IM solution as part of my final exam for the education I’‘m following). I tend to ask/post everything that I don’‘t get and can’‘t find archives. If that irritates people here, tell me and I’‘ll back off, but please realise that I’‘m not trying to be a smartass - it’'s my way of getting up to speed.

Having got that out of the way: What struck me as odd was that Jive supports or has an issue open for all JEPs that are required by JEP-00117 (Intermediate IM Protocol Suite), save one: JEP-0020 Feature Negotiation. Is there a specific reason behind that?

I tend

to ask/post everything that I don’‘t get and can’'t

find archives. If that irritates people here, tell me

and I’‘ll back off, but please realise that I’'m not

trying to be a smartass - it’'s my way of getting up

to speed.

No problem, we like active community members!

Having got that out of the way: What struck me as odd

was that Jive supports or has an issue open for all

JEPs that are required by JEP-00117 (Intermediate IM

Protocol Suite), save one: JEP-0020 Feature

Negotiation. Is there a specific reason behind that?

I think the main reason is that JEP-0020 doesn’‘t do much by itself. It’'s just a mechanism to do generic feature negotiation. In order for us to add support for it in the server, there have to be some features worth negotiating. The only example given in the JEP that seems relevant is MUC feature negotation. Do you have some other use cases in mind?

Regards,

Matt

I don’‘t have specific use cases in mind, no. I was comparing Jive Messenger features against JEPs, and this one stoot out, that’'s why I asked.

I can see why you didn’‘t implement that JEP if there’‘s nothing to negotiate in the first place. You guys have more hands on experience in this stuff than ten clones of me combined, so I’‘ll trust your judgement on that. In my view, implementing it could facilitate future enhancement. Contributors that need the functionality might be tempted to write their own (non-standardized) solutions otherwise. But as long as you control the codebase, that won’'t be a big problem anyway.

Current state the same, XEP-0020 missing?

I am hoping to set http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0184.html in use, and it seem to optionally make use of “feature negonation”.