Feature Req: Ability to break tabs out into separate windows, flexible tab docking/grouping

We’re starting to use Spark at a financial institution where screen real-estate is at a very high premium for traders and window management/flexibility is critical for usability. Although the enhancements below would be huge for us, I think they would have general appeal for all users.

We would love more flexible options for managing chat windows, specifically the ability to (in order of priority):

• Drag a chat tab out into its own separate window, so you could be seeing multiple chats at once without having to switch between tabs.

• Group, snap, and dock chat tabs together into clusters within separate windows.

• Drag and re-order chat tabs (already in http://www.igniterealtime.org/issues/browse/SPARK-724)

• Dock the chat window(s) with the roster list (looking at the code, I see this is / was available at one point, but it was ‘all or nothing’ in that you couldn’t have one chat docked and another broken out separately)

• Dock and snap the roster list and/or chat window to the edges of the screen, so I could snap in my roster list against the right side of my desktop and have it stick there.

I’m sure you’re up against some Swing and cross-platform support issues, but bringing the flexibility of a real multi-window interface with dragging and docking (ala Eclipse) to Spark would be great.

Thank you - ATM

PS - I see that this has been covered (e.g. http://www.igniterealtime.org/community/message/143342#143342), but that thread died this spring and I don’t see anything in JIRA. Still hoping the list above would be helpful to revive the discussion.

I am the IT Manager for an international company of 100+ employees. I

have been pushing for a complete switchover to spark for almost 2 years

now. Unfortunately about 50% are sticking with Exodus just for the

docking functionality. Please, if there is any way to get this feature,

it would make my life some much simpler.

All we really need is the ability to dock the roster with the chat window.

Thanks!!

Just to add my own voice, our users here have asked if it would be possible to have the tabs in separate windows. Partly to make it easier to see multiple conversationsn and partly to reduce the risk of accidentally closing tabs when clicking on them.

Are there any plans to add this (or any of the other options)?

• Drag a chat tab out into its own separate window, so you could be seeing multiple chats at once without having to switch between tabs.
  • Group, snap, and dock chat tabs together into clusters within separate windows.

SPARK-893

• Dock and snap the roster list and/or chat window to the edges of the screen, so I could snap in my roster list against the right side of my desktop and have it stick there.

SPARK-956