Fields for Wifi and Spark version, OS,

Hi,

I did abuse the “Location:” field of the forum to enter the Wifi and Spark version as it was available before Bill did kill it. Some (update) problems are related to the operating system so it would be nice if the users would have the option to store these values in the profile or may be remembered to post them if they post a new question.

LG

LG,

Sounds like a good idea. What’'s a good list? How about:

• Wildfire Version

• Spark Version

• OS

• JDK

Now, this data can get out of date and I can see that users would forget to update it. Plus that, with respect to OS, there are OSes you install on, test on, production, etc. All could be different. So, I could create another field called “Environment” – people could put whatever they want in there. What do you think?

Cheers,

–Bill

LG,

One more thing – the “location” field will return. I just need to run a quick migration script for it (the data is still in the database).

Cheers,

–Bill

Hi Bill,

if it is displayed below “Registered:” one will probably not miss to edit it, but it could be too much information. I think it makes sense to limit the fields to available versions. So one may also get informed that there is a newer version available when posting a question. If it is normal text where I can even enter Wifi 3.0.0 the people will get crazy as this version is not yet available. These values would be nice:

• Wifi version, OS and JDK

(standalone or servlet engine and version like Tomcat 5.5 if one is using the .war file)

Database vendor, version and OS

• Spark version, OS and JDK

• Asterisk version, OS

For developers:

• Wifi version, OS and JDK

• Smack version, OS and JDK

But if one is allowed to supply so much information it may be better that the user can select which information will be displayed for a question as its footer, separated just like the headline.

LG

like:

Wifi 2.6.2 / WindowsXP / JDK 1.5.0_06 / Tomcat 5.5

LG,

I personally find those message footers to be very distracting to the readability of the forum content. Our view is that content is king so we favor keeping that area clean, simple to use and very readable.

That said, I think the information you want to convey is useful. I like having that on the profile page and maybe having some of that in the “user’'s box” (the area to the left of the message).

Cheers,

–Bill

Hi Bill,

a footer below every[/u] post is not what I did mean, this would be indeed annoying.

It may be, no matter where one would like to display it, too much information so the user should select which information get’'s displayed.

If it is selectable and displayed within the footer for the initial question it should be fine, the ones who reply usually do not need to specify their environment.

LG

LG,

Gotcha, thanks – makes sense.

Cheers,

–Bill