File transfer does not work from Spark 2.7.7 to 2.8

I have install OpenFire 4.0.3 on Ubuntu Linux. I have Spark 2.7.7 clients and they have no issues at all. I have installed Spark 2.8 on Ubuntu Linux to try it out. So far, everything is OK and I can send files to the other 2.7.7 clients. When they send me files, I never get them. The error I see on the Spark window is this:

“There was an error during file transfer”

When opening Spark’s log, I see the following error:

SEVERE: There was an error during file transfer.

org.jivesoftware.smack.SmackException: Error in execution

at org.jivesoftware.smackx.filetransfer.IncomingFileTransfer.negotiateStream(Incom ingFileTransfer.java:199)

at org.jivesoftware.smackx.filetransfer.IncomingFileTransfer.access$100(IncomingFi leTransfer.java:57)

at org.jivesoftware.smackx.filetransfer.IncomingFileTransfer$1.run(IncomingFileTra nsfer.java:129)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

Caused by: java.util.concurrent.ExecutionException: org.jivesoftware.smack.SmackException: SOCKS5 negotiation failed

at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.report(FutureTask.java:122)

at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.get(FutureTask.java:206)

at org.jivesoftware.smackx.filetransfer.IncomingFileTransfer.negotiateStream(Incom ingFileTransfer.java:193)

… 3 more

Caused by: org.jivesoftware.smack.SmackException: SOCKS5 negotiation failed

at org.jivesoftware.smackx.bytestreams.socks5.Socks5Client$1.call(Socks5Client.jav a:105)

at org.jivesoftware.smackx.bytestreams.socks5.Socks5Client$1.call(Socks5Client.jav a:80)

at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:266)

This happens with or without port 7777 being opened.

Thanks!

EDIT - File transfer works between two 2.8 clients. (Ubuntu Linux)

The same happened with 2.6 vs 2.7 because of a lot of reworking of the file transfer code in 2.7. And don’t think there will be any fix for that as it was already hard to make file transfer work in 2.8 after the Smack 4 update (a lot of code in Spark is very old and badly written). So, unless someone comes up with an easy fix for interoperability between those version… And honestly, i don’t think there will be much mixed environments, especially when time passes. Some will probably just stay on 2.7 and the others will eventually move to 2.8. My users are all on 2.7 now, and i plan to move them all to 2.8 in a few days span.

Related No file transfer with Spark 2.8.0?

Hi,

Did u fix this problem?

I have install Spark on either Mac or Windows.

The first time I send file from either one, it’s OK.

But the next time I send file from the other computer, it will show exception like below:

org.jivesoftware.smack.SmackException: Error in execution

at org.jivesoftware.smackx.filetransfer.IncomingFileTransfer.negotiateStream(Incom ingFileTransfer.java:199)

at org.jivesoftware.smackx.filetransfer.IncomingFileTransfer.access$100(IncomingFi leTransfer.java:57)

at org.jivesoftware.smackx.filetransfer.IncomingFileTransfer$1.run(IncomingFileTra nsfer.java:129)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

Caused by: java.util.concurrent.ExecutionException: org.jivesoftware.smack.SmackException: SOCKS5 negotiation failed

at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.report(FutureTask.java:122)

at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.get(FutureTask.java:206)

at org.jivesoftware.smackx.filetransfer.IncomingFileTransfer.negotiateStream(Incom ingFileTransfer.java:193)

… 3 more

Caused by: org.jivesoftware.smack.SmackException: SOCKS5 negotiation failed

at org.jivesoftware.smackx.bytestreams.socks5.Socks5Client$1.call(Socks5Client.jav a:105)

at org.jivesoftware.smackx.bytestreams.socks5.Socks5Client$1.call(Socks5Client.jav a:80)

at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:266)

… 1 more

Could u give me a hint or any suggestion?

Thanks in advance

Allen