File Transfer Proxy Settings

Greetings,

We have recently installed Openfire and have everything working apart from file transfers. Our users are all behind individual NATs and we wanted to use the file transfer proxy to help facilitate the sending of files.

We get the following message from the server when we log in

And when we try to send files the client attempts to contact the proxy on the loop back address 127.0.1.1

The web admin console only lets us configure a port set to the default of 7777 and does not show anything about a server IP.

We do have two fqdns for our server and are connecting using the secondary one. main.company.com & of.company.com which is the only thing I can come up with that might be causing the problem.

Could anyone let me know what I’ve done wrong in setting up the server?

Regards,

Dave.

1 Like

Hi Dave,

I wonder whether you have in your /etc/hosts file (or corresponding file on Windows) an entry

127.0.0.1 localhost testserver.com

Openfire may then fail to detect the proper IP address. Also “nslookup testserver.com” on the server itself should return the proper IP address and not 127.0.0.1.

LG

I still have the same problem as described in the post of dwithnall above:

nslookup mydomain.com returns the right public ip address on the server and the /etc/hosts file on the server seems also correct.

How can I avoid that the Openfire XMPP server selects the loopback address 127.0.1.1?

Thanks,

Nico

127.0.0.1 (loopback interface) != 127.0.1.1 (some ip within 127.0.0.0/16)

Debian sets the 127.0.1.1 in /etc/hosts, not sure about other distributions. See also http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch05.en.html#_the_hostname_resolutio n

IMHO, its not an issue with your DNS Server setup, it’s something that is configured locally on your server running openfire. Double check your hosts file, the 127.0.1.1 has to come from somewhere.

Flow

java uses ipv6

fix it:

/etc/default/openfire

DAEMON_OPTS="-Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true"

There’s a bug in the Openfire proxy plugin, that causes it to list only the first available network interface. This could cause your problem. This problem is addressed in Openfire 4.1.0. See https://issues.igniterealtime.org/browse/OF-1170