File Transfer through firewall

We have openfire 3.6.4 and are using Digsby. Everything is working fine when on the inside of lan. Outside of lan digsby works just fine, chat works, but I can not get filetransfers to work. I have port 7777 open through the firewall. I am testing with a user on inside of lan using Spark and my machine using digsby at home and the file transfer just will not gets past the negotiating connection stream.

I have tried spark windows client on both machines and that gives a different problem. As soon as the file transfer starts, the connection to server is disconnected and then re connects. This happens even if both spark clients are on the local lan. It also happens on the inside lan if the file transfer is initiated by Spark windows client.

Does anyone use openfire outside of the lan that has file transfer between various clients or even using the SPARK client ?

Yes Ihave it working just fine. I have the server named with a fully qualified domain name resolvable external to my network. My AD domain just happens to be a subset of my internet domain. so named the server for my AD domain (chatserver.ad.doamin.com) then added that same name as an A record on my external DNS so chatserver.ad was added as an A record. I then opened all required chat ports 5222, 5223, 9090, 7777, 7070, 7443, 3478, 3479, 5229, 5269 both inbound and outbound to the interanl 10.x.x.x ip address of our server from our outside IP.

Thanks for the info, I double checked all of the ports and it was still a no go. Very odd. I am going to check a few more things.