FreeBSD Installation Guide

NEW INSTALATION.

For the new installation of the port you have to go to /usr/ports/net-im/openfire directory, execute “make && make install && make clean” command and follow the instructions if any (for example if you don’t install jre yet).

After the installation is completed all the .jar files will be installed to the /usr/local/share/java/classes directory in the way it is recommended by the porters handbook. New directory for the database /var/db/openfire and the logs /var/log/openfire will be created. The conf directory and default .xml file will be copied to /usr/local/etc/openfire directory. /usr/local/etc directory is a standard one in freebsd to store config files. The licence will be copied to /usr/local/share/doc/openfire. All the rest will be stored in /usr/local/share/java/openfire. Also, a startup rc file will be added to the system, namely to the directory /usr/local/etc/rc.d. Rc file is written by me so that the launching of the openfire daemon would have the privileges of the “openfire” user.

Starting the daemon

To automatically launch the daemon after the system is started you need to add this line to /etc/rc.conf:

openfire_enable=“yes”

A few more options is supported in rc.conf file:

openfire_user (username): Set to openfire by default. Set it to required username.

openfire_group (group): Set to openfire by default. Set it to required group.

openfire_libdir (path): Set to /usr/local/share/java/classes by default.Set it to java classes directory.

openfire_home (path): Set to /usr/local/share/java/openfire by default.Set it to java home directory.

openfire_javargs (args): Set to -Xmx256M by default. See java -h for available arguments.

Plugins

Install plugins into /usr/local/share/java/openfire/plugins directory. The plugins menu in the openfire web interface is the best way to do this.

UPGRADE

In case of an upgrade your have to build new port with command “make” first.

Than you should delete previos verson with command “make deinstall”.

On the stage of deleting the previous version of the openfire port by performing “make deinstall” command only those parts will be deleted which are the same as the original. For example, the folder /var/db/openfire will be deleted only if it is empty. The same refers to the plugins and logs folders. The config file will not be deleted if it differs from the default config .xml file.

After the previous version is deleted with the help of the “make deinstall” command you may install a new version from ports by performing the command “make install”.

If everything is ok clean the port directory using “make clean”.

For further information of how to maintain the port system please see here:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ports-using.html

MIGRATION FROM THE WILDFIRE

In case of migration your have to build new openfire port with command “make” first.

Stop the wildfire server at this point.

After that you should delete wildfire with command “make deinstall” in wildfire port directory.

Then execute “make install” command at the openfire port directory and follow the instructions you’ll see in console:

1. Stop the wildfire server if it still running.

2. Back up setup.

3. Go to /usr/local/etc/openfire and copy configuration from old setup

a) Copy wildfire.xml and rename it to openfire.xml.

b) Search for org.jivesoftware.wildfire. and replace with

org.jivesoftware.openfire. in openfire.xml

c) Change owner for configurations files:

chown -R openfire:openfire /usr/local/etc/openfire

1. If using embedded database:

a) Copy and rename files:

/var/db/wildfire/wildfire* files to /var/db/openfire/openfire*

b) Change owner for the database files:

chown -R openfire:openfire /var/db/openfire

1. Copy old certificates from resources/security directory to same

location in openfire. If you are using self-signed certificates then

regenerate them after start up.

1. Start up the server using new rc script:

a) Add openfire_enable=“YES” into rc.conf file.

b) /usr/local/etc/rc.d/openfire start

1. Reinstall the plugins.

2. If at that point you want to downgrade to wildfire 3.2.4 for some

reason please be sure to reinstall the wildfire port.

If everything is ok clean the port directory using “make clean”.

If you have any questions regarding the port installation procedure please drop me a mail. You can find my email in Makefile in openfire port directory.

I’m hoping to see a FreeBSD port of version 3.7.0. Are there plans to build one?

Thank you.

You have openfire-devel which is now 3.7.0.beta. Until official release of 3.7.0 ports will stay that way, and then maybe openfire36 and openfire37 (or just openfire)

I thought Ignite just officially released 3.7.0. Is the ports version of 3.7.0.beta a port of what was just released from Ignite?

Thanks for the quick response!

Well you see ports are maintained by their maintainers, in case of Openfire by gahr, and not by vendor so usually release of product may not immediately be reflected in its port. I would say give it few days.

No problem. My main concern was simply having the port available at some point. I don’t mind waiting and letting others identify the bugs first.

Inquired and Pietro will follow probably next with with port upgrade.

Hi all,

I installed openfire from ports as a package. I got an error related with incorrect openfireHome.

As I used default settings, I changed owner permissions for openfire home folder and then I was able to proceed:

#chown -R openfire:openfire /usr/local/share/java/openfire

Hi

I am having trouble with openfire and have posted the following on freebsd ports and questions:

I have a problem with openfire on freebsd 8.2 amd64

I found after starting I could not connect to the server

Getting error

WARNING: no shebang line in COPYRIGHT

Here is the test sequence that shows the error:

service openfire start

Starting openfire

#service openfire status

openfire is running as pid 9205

NOTE At this point it appears that openfire starts BUT immediately afterwards it must stop because a repeat status call gives:

#service openfire status

/usr/local/etc/rc.d/openfire: WARNING no shebang line in COPYRIGHT

openfire not running? (check /var/run/openfire.pid

Many thanks for any guidance

David Southwell ARPS AFIAP

Photographic Arts

Trained & experienced competition judge, mentor, trainer, lecturer,

Advanced digital techniques, international project photography