Full Screen Desktop Share without blur and quality loss

I noticed a lot of people asking about how to enable desktop sharing in full screen and crisp resolution. I did face the same problem and spent a couple days trying to figure it out. The solution is not that easy to achieve, although Dele Olajide as a Red5 plugin developer (aka “Saint” ) should find it easy to implement in a new version of Red5 Plugin.

I could not find the true source files of screenviewer.jar inside openfire/plugins/red5/screen, I downloaded the whole Openmeetings source from http://openmeetings.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/singlewebapp. There you can find a directory src/screenviewer, which contains the source files for screenviewer.jar (although they are a bit diffrent, there was a package name change from org.xmlcrm.webstart.* (this one is currently used in red5 plugin) to org.openmeetings.webstart.* (in downloaded source files) some time ago.

To remove the 600x600 resulution limitation, you have to change two lines inside the org\xmlcrm\webstart\screen\CaptureScreen.java subroutine
public byte[] bufferImage():

double thumbWidth = 600;
double thumbHeight = 600;

change to:

double thumbWidth = imageScreen.getWidth(); // *ConnectionBean.imgScale;
double thumbHeight = imageScreen.getHeight(); // *ConnectionBean.imgScale;

Recompile the whole thing, make screenviewer.jar, **sign **every jar inside red5/screen directory with the same signature file.

I went a bit further and modified the whole Desktop Publisher program: added the image Scale (%) JSpinner object, added this imgScale to the ConnectionBean, so I can dynamically change the scale of transfered image (if my bandwidth is poor).

Although my description here is brief, the real work involved is more tough, I could post my modified jar file, but as i don’t know the password of screeencast.keystore file - your Java will complain that certificates don’t match and won’t start. If anyone wants more details - I would be happy to provide them…

PS It’s also a good idea to modify screen.html to include scrollbars when the transfered image is bigger than your screen, modify its style:

body { overflow: scroll; margin: 0pt; }

If and when I finally get any time to spend on the red5 plugin, I will probably be using this solution instead

Thanks for the conttibution

Your red5-screenshare really looks like much more elegant solution. But to actually use it in Openfire, there must be some simple HTML+SWF file that captures RTMP stream - red5-screenshare/publisher.swf looks more like debug mode Maybe you have one?

I managed to hook up on the stream from your Desktop Publisher program using Flowplayer (Streaming plugin RTMP), but I don’t want to reinvent the bike…

HI Mseimys,

I am struggling to acheive Desktop sharing using Redfire in OF for the past 15 days and my life has become very boring.

I getting a grey screen after installig redfire in OF and redfire-plugin.jar in spark.

Can you please share the redfire plugin which we place it in /opt/openfire/plugins/* and also redfire-plugin.jar which we place in widows spark (C:\Documents & Settings<user>\spark\plugins).

Further, please share any source files which you have tweaked, like (screenshare.jar) & also any other source files.

I know, this is very painful job but, i sincerely request you to share if possible.

THanks & Regards,

MOULI

Hiiiii @mseimys.

I need your help…

for desktop sharing over internet using Red 5.

I have googled for last week but didnt get any documentation or sample code for that…Will you please post some link so that I can go in right direction for video streaming.

Their no compulsion for Red5.Any HELPFUL source will appreciated

Thankx in advance!!!