Fully qualified domain name and JID(still needing help)

I am totally, totally confused as to what my users JID should be. I have gone through a few threads already about : FQDN, JID, XMPP.domain…on this site and I am even getting more confused. Please bear with me. My problem started with my roster not changing status:always offline even if on the other ends my buddies are online. This is a new installation of openfire. Here is my situation:

• My domain name (public) is : domain.net

• My web server is &nbsp ; : domain

• My Host name is &nbsp ; : domain

• My server name is &nbsp ; : domain

• My xmpp.domain is : domain.net

1. What should my JID be in this case? I actually would prefer: "user@domain.net".Possible?

2. Do I have to change names? Off course, I cannot change my web server name and my public domain name. I can change my hostname and my server name.

Please help.

Message was edited by: Leonard

Your Server Name and XMPP domain should match and should be the FQDN of the server. Your JID should be username@FQDN. For example:

Domain = domain.com

Server name = chatserver.domain.com

XMPP domian = chatserver.domain.com

JID = username@chatserver.domain.com

Thank you very much. I will go ahead and try it.

sixthring wrote:

Your Server Name and XMPP domain should match and should be the FQDN of the server. Your JID should be username@FQDN. For example:

Domain = domain.com

Server name = chatserver.domain.com

XMPP domian = chatserver.domain.com

JID = username@chatserver.domain.com

I’m wrestling this issue as well - why do we not see folks with JIDs of username@xmpp-server1.l.google.com or username@hermes.jabber.org? Shouldn’t it just be username@domain.com? What about in the case where you have a cluster, what would be the JID? Isn’t this what the SRV records are for?

Thank you for your answer. But the question remains: why so much complications? While the tendency is to keep to short names when it comes to Internet domain names, the XMPP community seems happy to indulge in long JID. Why not just go with short JID: user@domain or even take the example of AIM that is just going with a screen name: “joe” or “crispain”. Let the client add to is the fully qualified domain name in the background when it connects to server. Look at Skype.They have made things easier for the mainstream to adopt and enjoy. When will the XMPP experts understand that these wonderful tools they are forging are meant for the mass and not only for a selected few? I know the above points have been already raised times and times again, but we will still raise them until such a time that …

I think you are missing the point of how a JID is generated. It is actually no different than any other protocol (AIM, Yahoo, Skype, etc). The JID is made up of two different components that merge together to tell the software where to connect.

1. username - this can be as short and sweet as you like (i.e. johnd)
  2. server address - this is usually a FQDN, but can be other internet valid values such as IP (ok so that may the only other choice)

These are combined with an @ symbol to link the two values to route the traffic (just like email). The legacy protocols are no different. They take a username and a server name, combine them and route the traffic. The gateway plugin for openfire will show you the names of the servers the different protocols connect to. That is why with some XMPP clients they have different fields for username and server.

Thank you Todd for your reply. Fair enough. If I can use “user@ip” which I have been trying when my domain DNS was not pointing to my webserver IP, and because my domain name resolve to my IP, why can’t I then name my jabber server after my domain name, give the same name to the host machine so that my XMPP Domain can have the same name and then use "user@mydomain.com" as JID?

Hi,

XMPP allows server 2 server routing. The domain identifier of the “to” JID (node-identifier@domain-identifier/resource-identifier) is used to decide whether this is a local or a remote server. So if you use the IP address instead of the domain name you will likely confuse the server.

The JID (node@domain) is also used to store your friends in the roster. There you really want to use a domain name and not an IP address which might change.

So what you may want to do is

1. set the xmpp.domain to a FQDN like example.com

2. use a JID node@domain in your client like user@example.com

3. specify the IP address (and port) of your server in your client so your client does not try to use the JID to lookup the IP address of your server.

LG