Group Chat Affiliations

I am using Openfire 3.6.4 on CentOS 5 and I am using Psi 0.14 as my client. I have added my Openfire ID to be a Group Chat administrator on the Openfire server. However, when I am in a chat room should I not be able to add other users to the Administrators and Owners groups for that chat room? When you are in a chat room in Psi you can click the Configure Room option and it will show you the list of room affiliations: Administrator, Banned, Members and Owners. I can add users to the Members and Banned group but Administrator and Owners are greyed out. Why?

I also added my ID as an owner of the room in the User Permissions setting for the room itself with the same result. I then made the room moderated also with the same result. Any suggestions as to what might be going on are appreciated.

Is there anyone who can address this question? I am hoping to bring up a production Openfire server soon and Psi is our recommended client. But it is hard to recommend Openfire + Psi if users’ can’t administer their rooms using the dialog that Psi provides. Are there any changes planned for Group Chat in the next Openfire version as far as this issue is concerned? Openfire is great but I am a little concerned about this issue.

maalox wrote:

should I not be able to add other users to the Administrators and Owners groups for that chat room?

I think no. Admins can only manage bans, voices, users, moderators. Only owner can edit admins and owners lists. and this works fine for me with Exodus client.

The jid that I am using to join the chat room is set as the administrator of the Group Chat Service in the Openfire Admin Console. It says “Below is the list of system administrators of the group chat service. System administrators can enter any group chat room and their permissions are the same as the room owner.” That is why I thought I should be able to edit the Administrators and Owner lists with Psi. It seems that there is some incompatability between Psi and the Openfire Group Chat service when using Psi group chat managment interface. Psi works fine with mu-conference. Really don’t want to use Exodus. The last release of Exodus was 2007 and that was a buggy version. As far as I know Exodus is not maintaned and there have been many better clients that have come along since then. I have been trying to get mu-conference set up as an external component but that is for another thread…

maalox wrote:

The jid that I am using to join the chat room is set as the administrator of the Group Chat Service in the Openfire Admin Console. It says “Below is the list of system administrators of the group chat service. System administrators can enter any group chat room and their permissions are the same as the room owner.”

I see. I have checked that. I’m referring to Exodus just like an example that this is working in some clients, not that i’m advertising it to use (though we use it in production with no big issues). So, i have also checked that in Spark and it works. While in Psi i can’t even find where to click (have right clicked almost every pixel in the chat window) to get room configuration (same with pidgin). It’s hard to tell where the problem is exactly, but i tend to think that this is a client’s incompatibility. It’s been a while after Psi has released last stable version too. Spark is not very active now, though.