Group Chat (MUC) Creation

I currently have “Room Creation Permissions” set to “Anyone can create a chat room.” This is how I want it. However I do want to limit settings on these rooms that users can create. These limitations should include:

-Rooms cannot be made persistent. (Unless rooms are deleted periodically after an amount of inactivity, however this would be another concern as I have some rooms which should never be removed.)

-List room in directory should be optional and disabled by default.

-Make room moderated should be optional and disabled by default.

-Make room members-only should be optional and disabled by default.

-I think occupants should be able to invite others. (How does this work? If this setting is not available how do others get into the room if it’s not listed?)

-Allow occupants to change subject should be optional and disabled by default.

-Only login with registered nicknames should not be enabled. AKA any nick should be permitted based on this setting.

-Allow occupants to change nicknames should be optional and enabled by default.

-Allow users to register with the room should not be available.

-Rooms should never be logged.

So is there any way to enforce these kind of rules with allowing anyone to create a chat room? What is the deal I have read about in regards to chatrooms being hidden and/or removed after not being used for 30 days and is there a way to prevent this for certain rooms? How can I change the default settings for chatrooms created through a client? (We are using the latest version of Pidgin.) Thanks for the advice.

Hi,

-List room in directory should be optional and disabled by default.
-Make room moderated should be optional and disabled by default.

-Make room members-only should be optional and disabled by default.

-Allow occupants to change subject should be optional and disabled by default.

-Only login with registered nicknames should not be enabled. AKA any nick should be permitted based on this setting.

-Allow occupants to change nicknames should be optional and enabled by default.

For this see Set default room properties - Openfire Support - Ignite Realtime Community Forums, maybe I write a new page for the admin console the next days in my free time to set this settings. I will write a very similar page for my plugin too.

-Rooms cannot be made persistent. (Unless rooms are deleted periodically after an amount of inactivity, however this would be another concern as I have some rooms which should never be removed.)

-Allow users to register with the room should not be available.

-Rooms should never be logged.

I don’t know way how to enforce this with the current implementation.

-I think occupants should be able to invite others. (How does this work? If this setting is not available how do others get into the room if it’s not listed?)

This can be done in pidgin via → enter the room, go to Conversation and then Invite… (see attached screenshot). This must be allowed during the room configuration.

Thanks for the reply Guenther Niess.

You answered everything I wanted to know about except for one thing. “What is the deal I have read about in regards to chatrooms being hidden and/or removed after not being used for 30 days and is there a way to prevent this for certain rooms?” Is this something that only happened in old versions of the software or is this still implemented? Thanks again.

-Rooms cannot be made persistent.
There is a ticket for that JM-1385. The least we can do.

You answered everything I wanted to know about except for one thing. “What is the deal I have read about in regards to chatrooms being hidden and/or removed after not being used for 30 days and is there a way to prevent this for certain rooms?” Is this something that only happened in old versions of the software or is this still implemented? Thanks again.
Actually 7 days i think. There is a ticket for this also JM-235. Not resolved yet. But there is a workaround. You can use system property xmpp.muc.unload.empty_days to set your own period of idle. Say 30000 days.

Thanks for the help. Much appreciated getting answers even if the features I want are not currently available. How would I know when these features are available anyway? Just in case I want to implement them when they are available.