Group chat ok; 1 to 1, not working

hi all,

i’'ve set up openfire on my mail server. its fqdn is (eg) mail.foxfox.com

in openfire, the servername property is the same, and my jabber clients (pidgin) use foxfox.com to connect to the server - they log in fine using their ldap credentials.

user1 can create a chat room.

user2 can join it, but user1 can’'t invite user2.

when trying to send a message from user1 to user2, the debug log spits out the following:

Line: -

java.lang.Exception: Failed to create connection to remote server

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.server.OutgoingSessionPromise$PacketsProcessor.sendPa cket(OutgoingSessionPromise.java:212)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.server.OutgoingSessionPromise$PacketsProcessor.run(Ou tgoingSessionPromise.java:184)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(ThreadPoolExecutor.java: 650)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:675)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)

Line: -

im not sure why it’'s trying to connect to the user as a server? the log output is similar when doing an invite from the chat room, but chatr.mail.foxfox.com (my group chat server name) is used instead.

any thoughts would be appreciated.

thanks

Hi,

you should either use “example.com” as xmpp.domain and also for your users (foo@example.com) or you should use the “mail.example.com” as xmpp.domain and within the JID’'s (foo@mail.example.com).

With Spark it’'s possible to set the xmpp.domain and the server name to connect to to different values, so one can use "foo@example.com" and connect to “mail.example.com” without problems. As far as I can tell this may be used to confuse users. Not sure if pidgin allows something similar.

LG