Groups not functioning after upgrade

I recently upgraded from Jive Messenger 2.1.1 to 2.1.5. I was initially hesitant to upgrade because everything had been working incredibly well for us with ~300 users and ~30 of those signed in at a time.

After this upgrade users are authenticating correctly (via openldap), but their userlists are not being loaded. The userlist consist exclusively of groups that have been added to their accounts throught the admin interface.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

bad luck huh… Well, you can try to delete and readd some smaller group and see if it shall appear in users roster.

Well, I deleted and readded a small group. Nothing. Restarted Jive Messenger. Nothing. The clients that we use are Gossip, Pandion, and iChat. All of these clients are listed as authenticated in the admin console, but only iChat actually logs in. I have broadcast message from the admin console, but they are only recieved by the iChat users. Any more suggestions? Should I wipe my database and start again? I really want to avoid that if possible, as I have 18 groups and 529 users (~300 active). The users are all stored in an Openldap server, but the act of recreating the groups is mind numbingly boring. . .

if you ever try to wipe DB, try userImportExport plugin. It may save a lot of time. But i dont know how it works with LDAP. Ryan can comment this more.

if you ever try to wipe DB, try userImportExport

plugin. It may save a lot of time. But i dont know

how it works with LDAP. Ryan can comment this more.

Actually, the userImportExport plugin won’‘t work in this case; it’‘s a security thing mainly having to do with Messenger not being allowed to update or read LDAP user passwords. The plugin detects if it was deployed in an LDAP backed Messenger installation and if it does it won’'t allow importing or exporting.

Hope that helps,

Ryan

Alright. . . I had some other things to work on, (severed 100 pair phone line due to wayward backhoe, bleh). I have solved my problem. I watched the logs and noticed that the server was dying on an ldap account that was accidentally entered with a space in the name. One of the admins was entering user account with the Samba LDAP tools that we use to populate our ldap server. They accidentally entered a cn where they should have entered the uid. Example:

A typical account would be:

CN=Casey Bredeson

UID=cbredeson

this account was listed as:

CN=Casey Bredeson

UID=Casey Bredeson

The odd thing is that it worked fine in Jive Messenger 2.1.1, but not 2.1.5 or the 2.2 beta which I am currently trying. I am happy to be running a more current version again.

hey, maybe this was one of earlier LDAP bugs, and after it was fixed your system began to malfunction