Guide to setting up Chat room / multi-user chat?

Does anyone have a guide to setting up a chat room? I am evaluating openfire, and have installed it localy, bound to 127.0.0.1.

I have created a group chat room in the admin named test. However, it is not clear to me how to have my clients connects to it (im using Adium and Spark).

I believe the issue is that the in the settings the “group chat service name” is set to “conference”, with all of the examples then showing the connect string to be:

conference.domain.com

however, I am bound to 127.0.0.1 right now, so that wont work for me.

Any suggestions? Does group chat require that the server be accessed via a domain name and not ip?

mike

Hi Mike,

I am not aware of a group chat guide. In general, you have things straight. Your XMPP hostname should be ‘localhost’ and not ‘127.0.0.1’, then your conference service becomes conference.localhost

daryl

Thanks. The thing that I wasnt clear on, was that I need to map the new name to the IP.

I had to update my hosts file but once I did that it worked fine.

So, when i put it on my server i need to set up a DNS for:

conference.domain.com

??

Is that correct?

thanks for the help…

mike

Hi Mike,

You do not need conference.domain.com in DNS, the jabber server will walk the FQDN up until it finds a valid DNS and try that server. For example:

host conference.igniterealtime.org

Host conference.igniterealtime.org not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

daryl

Perfect. Thanks for the help.

mike

Hi,

I have setup the server on a machine with IP address aa.bb.cc.dd. The conference service is running on “conference.aa.bb.cc.dd”. I cannot connect to a room in the conference. Is this because of some DNS issues?

Thanks,

K