Help with starting a plugin

Hi,

I’‘d like some advice from you guys on how to approach a project idea. I’'ve never developed for widlfire before so bear with me. I have some information external to wildfire that I would like to store in a custom table in the wildfire DB. I would then like to have that data as a part of the presence of users. As this information changes in the database, I would like to see the presence of the users the change affects, change in the spark client.

I figure I will need a plugin for wildfire that will be able to process that info the db and I will also need a plugin for the spark client that knows how to effect that presence schange in the client. My problem is I’‘m not sure where to start. I notice that extensions of wildfire can be components or IQHandlers. What’'s the real difference between those two and when do u use which?

My dev environment will be Eclipse and I tried to get a basic plugin structure setup in Eclipse but it’'s not working out too well. Is there anyone that has a guide as to how to get started doing dev of wildfire/spark plugins using Eclipse?

I’‘d appreciate any help y’'all can give.

Hi,

as the Wildfire source does contain also the plugins it should be easy to write a plugin, the broadcast plugin is a very compact plugin and a good starting point.

I’'m not sure if there are also plugins which create new database tables.

If you want to send presence information then you may want to intercept all incoming presence information so you can update it accordingly and or send some more presence information depending on your database. So there would be no need for a SparkPlug.

LG

Thanks. I’'m looking through it right now.

Hi,

sipster wrote:

My dev environment will be Eclipse and I tried to get a basic plugin structure setup in Eclipse but it’'s not working out too well. Is there anyone that has a guide as to how to get started doing dev of wildfire/spark plugins using Eclipse?

LG also has written a very good instruction of how you could get it done with Eclipse here. I thought you might need it.

Thanks for that link! I got the wildfire source setup in Eclipse now. Works nicely. I have my plugin in the src/plugins directory and am able to do a build from the ant perspective in Eclipse

Thanks again for the links.

I’'m doing a PacketInterceptor to attach a PacketExtension object so I can send customized presence info to the IM clients. I do think Iwill have to write a spark plugin though so it knows how to maniplulate the PacketExtension because I want to have some custom graphics on the spark client.

Message was edited by: sipster

Well, good luck sipster!

Would you mind also sharing your plugins with us here?