Hi I'm new and I have some questions

Hi all: I have OpenFire and Smack installed (with source) and I’ve been reading it over. I use Eclipse as an IDE and I get 837 warnings on the code. They are all related to generic type references. Do you think I’m using the wrong edition of Java (EE5) or is there an updated/compatible version of the source?

I’m also very keen on using Jabber to process transactional data. I assume (from all that I’ve read) that it can handle it and it sounds like it can handle it quite well. I’m going to look around but if someone could point me to some introductory examples demonstrating how to write a non IM-related client I’d appreciate it. When I approach new technology I typically like to get “something” working and build from there. I’ve read DJ Adams book so I have a handle on the fundamentals but I’m sure I’ll have plenty of questions.

Thanks.

Tom

Hi Tom,

I did never count the number of warnings, and as long as the code compiles I see no need to fix one of them. I assume that the Java 1.4 code is causing the warnings but now Openfire requires Java 1.5 to compile and 1.5 complains. Not sure if the developers take care to remove these warnings one after the other.

LG

Hi LG: Thanks for the reply. They aren’t serious just warnings, still I’m not a “warning” kind of guy They aren’t hard to fix and I could fix them in my copy of the code but I’d have to do that each time I download an update.

Meanwhile I’ve ordered Iain Shigeoka’s book so I’ll have more material to peruse. If you know of people (or a group here) that are doing more than IM-type programming with Jabber I’d love to be introduced.

Thanks again,

Tom