Hidden Features

Just a quick summary of more or less known features, see also http://www.igniterealtime.org/community/blogs/ignite/2007/03/19/spark-goodies

As they are mostly unknown they are broken for some versions, sad thing but must be said here.

Main Window

Ctrl+E Recent Conversations

Ctrl+F Find Contacs which are on your roster, if there are too much (2.0.2)

Ctrl+N Find Contacs which are on your roster, if there are too much (only 1.1.x)

Ctrl+T Favorite Contacts

CtrlF5 Tasks (only for 2.0.0, 2.5.6 while 2.5.6 has an icon for this)

CtrlF6 Notepad (only for 2.0.0, 2.5.6 while 2.5.6 has an icon for this)

F8 Jabber Browser

F12 Traffic Window (not for 2.5.4+ - there one need to open the debug window during login)

Drag-and-Drop files on a contact to send them

Conversation Window

AltLeft and AltRight (one could expect Ctrl+Tab to do this) changes the buddy tab you are talking to.

Only within P2P Chats

Ctrl+V sends the content of the clipboard (works with images, I didn’t test with other content).

Drag-and-Drop files in the chat window to send them

Nested Groups

If I wanted to have the following nesting:

Buddies

- Work

- Personal

You would create a shared groups like this:

Buddies::Work

Buddies::Personal

One should be able to configure this and use ‘/’ instead of ‘::’, change it here: TODO

Funny Things

… which are not hidden, just documented here. Get them within the “Traffic Window”, “Ad-hoc message”

Query Client Version

Note: Spark 2.0.1+ offers a popup menu for this within the roster

<iq id="i1" to="foobar@example.com/spark" type="get">
  <query xmlns="jabber:iq:version"></query>
</iq>
Query Client Time
<iq id="i1" to="foobar@example.com/spark" type="get">
  <query xmlns="jabber:iq:time"></query>
</iq>
Invisibility / Privacy lists

see Privacy Lists

or http://www.igniterealtime.org/community/thread/21886 (quite old)

LG, and others, I’d like to hear your thoughts as to whether I should make all of these things more obvious. I don’t really understand why they are “hidden”. Some of them are in the users guide though. Still, I don’t really see why I couldn’t make menu items for some of them.

yeah, i agree such options should be visible

and having that options in menus would be especially useful when some other apps are overtaking these shortcuts (i cant use Ctrl-T or Ctrl-E at work, because other spellchecking-dictionary app has reserved that).