? how autostart OpenFire 3.5.2 on boot-up?

I just managed to solve the problem of an Ubuntu 8.04 install, for which I will write up a how-to.

The install itself took only a second or less (sweat & blood took a lot longer ) and I must say the Web interface is awesome.

My congratulations and applause to the OpenFire developers.

Previous how-to’s concerning a symbolic link appear to be out-dated.

How do I have OpenFire load up at each boot-up ?

sudo ps shows the following:

/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/bin/java -server
-DopenfireHome=/usr/share/openfire
-Dopenfire.lib.dir=/usr/share/openfire/lib
-classpath /usr/share/openfire/lib/startup.jar
-jar /usr/share/openfire/lib/startup.jar

An older how-to says:

[5] To get openfire to start on boot we will add a provided boot script to init.d and we will have to edit a line in the script.

sudo ln -s /usr/bin/openfire/bin/openfire /etc/init.d/

which seems to have no connection with OpenFire v 3.5.2 start-up on boot.

Is there a Linux wizard that can help out a Linux newbie ?

Thanks in advance.

Is there a Linux wizard that can help
Possible, but I’m not familar with Debian based distributions (Ubuntu is based on Debian). On Fedora/CentOS Linux there is a tool called** ‘chkconfig’**. (maybe it’s called ‘Upstart’, see wiki link below)

However, you can also do it by hand. This is my configuration. I should say that I’m not using the RPM (or DEB) packet.

[backup@jabber rc0.d]$ ls -l /etc/init.d/openfired
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 33 Dec  9 13:51 /etc/init.d/openfired -> /opt/openfire/bin/extra/openfired
[backup@jabber rc0.d]$ ls -l /etc/rc?.d/*openfired
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 19 Dec  9 13:51 /etc/rc0.d/K01openfired -> ../init.d/openfired
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 19 Dec  9 13:31 /etc/rc3.d/S70openfired -> ../init.d/openfired
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 19 Dec  9 13:43 /etc/rc6.d/K01openfired -> ../init.d/openfired

/etc/rcX is the directory for runlevel X. All scripts (or links) there are executed in alphabetical order. K**** stands for “kill” and S***** for “start”. Ensure that dependencys like network or your database do start before and stop after Openfire. Also be sure in which runlevel you are, check out Wikipedia for that.