How can we make the Ignite Realtime community even better?

Most of you probably saw Matt’‘s blog post about moving the community features of Ignite onto the new Clearspace X platform. While we’'re making some changes, I wanted to get other suggestions for ways to make the Ignite Realtime community even better.

Jive Software also plans to launch a new developer website and developer community around products like Clearspace and Jive Forums. I’‘ll post more information about it in July when we’'ll be looking for people to help us beta test the new site.

Welcome Dawn,

there are some feature requests in the forum for the forum already, implementing them would help a lot to make the community better.

There are so many “unscheduled” issues in JIRA, 130 for Openfire and about 60 scheduled for 3.x which usually get moved to the next version instead of being resolved. Some of them were reported in 2004 so I really wonder if it is so hard to solve them and how much sense it makes to keep them open all the time. Like Openfire also Spark has 19% open issues. Would it be possible to solve (or at least close with won’'t fix) each week the oldest issue? This would be JM-23 and SPARK-15 for the next week.

There’'s also the Roadmap, I thought that the #1 issue should also be solved for the next version.

Not sure how many users are using JIRA compared to the forum, a tighter integration using SSO would be nice.

I always thought that igniterealtime.org is the beta instance for jivesoftware.com products so you should have a lot of test users.

LG

just make this site WORK. i dont know, maybe you are doing some beta testing with us or moving it to Clearspace, but i’'m just forgetting what i wanted to say until i get reply form loaded, or i get time outs 3 time per day.

improve? check this:

http://www.igniterealtime.org/forum/thread.jspa?threadID=25613&tstart=0

http://www.igniterealtime.org/forum/thread.jspa?threadID=25492&tstart=0

http://www.igniterealtime.org/forum/thread.jspa?threadID=25491&tstart=0

http://www.igniterealtime.org/forum/thread.jspa?threadID=22208&tstart=0

http://www.igniterealtime.org/forum/thread.jspa?threadID=20709&tstart=0

it would be nice if there was a page containing “best practises” and FAQs, that are generatet from the forum threads.

lately i was seeking some information about spark and smack and compared to the rest of the documentation the one for the extensions is very poor … although there were some information in the forum - so a FAQ/best practise/examples site (could be made as a wiki site so everyone can add own examples )

;D I’'d like to be able to post my own plugin releases (both beta and production) hehehe. hides from matt

My biggest thing is I wish I got email notifications from private messages.

Even better would be if I could get XMPP notifications for my notifications. =) (ideally both at the same time)

I generally preferred one thing about the jivesoftware.org site where Sources or whatever was it’'s own link on the top navigation bar. Could be Sources or Developers or whatever. It irks my sense of number of clicks to go Downloads -> Sources -> whatever i wanted from there. =)

I second the comment from jadestorm. As a developer it is slightly annoying to have to navigate between the products and downloads sections in order to get all the relevant information (i.e. issues, documentation, binaries, and source code).

Also, I would like it if the nightly builds feature was working again, it was always very convenient for testing the latest bug fixes.

Thanks,

Chris

I would really like to see the ability to post code or configurations in the forums while keeping the original formatting. Rich Text > Preformatted has never really worked well for me (lost indentations, extra line spacing, etc).

I would also love to be able to file a bug instead of having to report it in the forums and hope someone will notice it and add it to JIRA.

Last thing, I found it really hard to build Spark for the first time (using Eclipse), and think it would be useful to have a guide to help new developers get up and running more quickly. Its actually really easy, but knowing where to start was difficult for me.

peted20 wrote:

I would really like to see the ability to post code or configurations in the forums while keeping the original formatting. Rich Text >

Preformatted has never really worked well for me (lost indentations, extra line spacing, etc).You can use … in the plain text view for this - works well for me.

srt wrote:

You can use … in the plain text view for this - works well for me.

Wow, thank you, that does work very well!

I have to disagree with direct posting of bugs. =) To date I look at every last message that comes across my forum and I already run into there being 8 different threads about the same thing a lot of times. I don’'t really need to be dealing with 8 different bug reports. I very much approve of the “post in the forum and the dev will file a bug report” process.

That said, I too have posted some things in the Openfire Support forum and never had a response or no bug filed or anything. So I know where you are coming from here. Not really sure what the best thing to suggest is. It might not be a bad idea to keep with the current style except have someone “dedicated” to keeping up with the forums and filing bug reports as appropriate.

Hi Daniel,

a “Openfire / Bug” forum may help a lot. It should be much more easy to find bug reports for the ones who want to reproduce it and create bug reports.

LG

Yeah I’‘d agree, that sounds like it would be a good idea. Though I must admit the more granular I’'ve tried to make things like that in the past, the less effective they are. (Ie, what constitutes the difference between a bug report forum post and a support forum post)

If its just to get attention simply prefixing bug reports in the forum with [BUG] in the thread name will be more than sufficient, right?

You know, it might be kinda cool if clear space/the forums actually had some sort of ability so that you could click a button to flag the thread as a bug report or a feature request, similar to how you can flag it as a question or not a question. And then provide some easy filters to see “gimme all the bug reports” or something like that. I’'m envisioning a cute icon for the feature requests and bug reports. ;D

Even better would be if it gave us Devs an automated way to link “bug thread” to a JIRA issue. So that we could quickly see which threads have new issues, existing issues, or were determined to not be an issue.

What about having a distinction between a bug post and a question post? Then the little icon in the thread list could show a small bug or something to indicate the user is reporting what he or she thinks is a bug. Someone with developer status could then somehow “assign” a JIRA issue to that thread, or mark it as wont-fix, or not-a-bug. It would allow the community to report things without cluttering up the real issue tracker.

slushpupie wrote:

Someone with developer status could then somehow “assign” a JIRA issue to that thread, or mark it as wont-fix, or not-a-bug.

… or with the status “it’‘s not a bug - it’'s a feature”

btw. better documentation would be great … until a few days i didn’'t know that exists … and wondered how the others make the nice looking code areas …