How do I disable Bell/Buzz feature OR Filter the Packets in OpenFire?

I guess this is a three-fold question relaly:

Question 1: How do I disable Bell/Buzz feature OR Filter the Packets in OpenFire?

Question 2 (with some backstory): I’ve enable a packet filter in OpenFire for OTR packets, so people can’t ecrypt/hide their conversations (using: “?OTR” as my filter). Is there a similar way to do this with the Bell/Buzz packets?

Question 3: Is there a way to standardize the configs of my users? So all have toast/notifications turned on, OTR disabled, and certain other features (like add a contact etc)… that can be applied during install or some other stream-lined fashion?

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

Well, I figured out at least one way to HIDE the bell from the users. You can still click on the tiny little square where the button exists, BUT by removing the image for the bell, it becomes un-noticable/hidden.

By editing the spark.jar in your installation folder (C:/Programs/Spark/lib/spark.jar)
And then inside of it:

spark.jar/org/jivesoftware/resource/spark.properties

and removing the path/image for “BUZZ_IMAGE”

1. This is possible to some point. The problem is Spark is storing user and password in the same config file, so you won’t be able to deploy same file to everyone, unless everyone knows their login and password and would be able to login. Then you can prepare spark.properties file with desired settings (setup your Spark and then copy your file deleting login info before).

It can be found in C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\Spark and you can access it via script as %AppData%\Spark\

An advice not to put the server part if you want to deploy this file with empty username. It takes about 10-15 seconds for Spark to start with such config file (only for the first time). It probably tries to connect to the server provided without the username.

You can specify a list of plugins to disable in this file, separated by commas.

1 Like

I have my Eclipse IDE setup and properly building spark packages with my customizations to org.jivesoftware.resources > default.properties and > spark.properties (though, I still need to figure out how to make an installer and test the customized installation)…

I think I’ll end up using this this method to install spark on all of my machines, with the correct customizations.

The last thing I need then is: Where in the project can I find the bell/buzz feature and disable it? I think the easiest way to disable it, is just to completely remove the bell button from the chat window ui. Where can I find that and comment it out?

Thank you in advance for any and all help.