How do our internal users add jabber.org users

I just know that this has been asked & answered before. I feel bad for asking it aqgain, so whomever knows this one, please be so kind on me to just post the URL. I searched and searched but was obviously not using the correct terms because I couldnt find it.

a) How do our internal users add other jabber users names to their contact lists? Does something special need to be done on the server to make this possible?

b) Does the other domain need to post SRV records in their DNS? do we?

c) As a similar but slightly differnet question, can an internal user simply start a new chat with another jabber user on a completely different netowrk/server by saying “beging chat with someone@example.org” without anythign set-up ahead of time, even if we admin’'s have never heard of “example.org” before? Does magic pixie dust get sprinkled on that outgoing connection for it to just go find that server on the internet & say, hey, one of our users wants your user “someone” for a chat, please let them?

Thanks so much.

Peace. Love. Linux.

Jason

Hi,

a) Just like internal users by specifying their JID (name@server).

b) The other server must be able to resolve your host name. So the other server administrator may edit its /etc/hosts file. The other and much more common option is to set up DNS entries for your server, conference room and probably also your pubsub service. This would all work without using SRV records and I’'m not sure that all XMPP servers support SR lookups.

c) Yes, if you are not using a firewall to block port 5269 and if you did enable s2s-connections to every server and if example.org also accepts s2s connections from you. It can be configured here /server2server-settings.jsp and you may want to configure it.

LG

Note that gmail actually blocks connection from servers that don’‘t have an SRV record. That’‘s pretty annoying, since my DNS provider doesn’'t allow me to add those entries, only A and AAAA.

The specs say that SRV records should be resolved first, and if those don’'t exist, A/AAAA should be used.

Hello!

Note that gmail actually blocks connection from

servers that don’‘t have an SRV record. That’'s pretty

annoying, since my DNS provider doesn’'t allow me to

add those entries, only A and AAAA.

Is there any gmail test account out there (or somebody willing to donate?) so we Wildfire admins can test before we broadly declare to our users “gmail is no problem” ?

Bye

Starry

Note that gmail actually blocks connection from

servers that don’‘t have an SRV record. That’'s pretty

annoying, since my DNS provider doesn’'t allow me to

add those entries, only A and AAAA.

The specs say that SRV records should be resolved

first, and if those don’'t exist, A/AAAA should be

used.

I seem to be able to speak with Google Talk users with no problems whatsoever. My domain does not have any SRV records to speak of.

Starry, did you still need a gmail account? Give me an email address and I’'ll send you an invite.

Jason

Message was edited by: webmanj

so, back to the original question:

I have added (using the latest beta version of GAIM that I have running on my SuSe 10 laptop) in my jabber client which is connected to only one account, my internal jabber server account, my external jabber account (ie: sjobeck@jabber.org), and it does add the contact to the contact list, but it says:

Error 404: remote server not found

I interpret this error messae to mean that our internal jabber server (wildfire 2.6.2 on SuSe 10) can not find the server for this contact, meaning it can not find the jabber server for jaber.org, which we all know does not really make much sense. or does it? hell, I dont know. It does not seem to pass the sniff test. DNS works perfectly on the jabber server (ie: email, dig, nslookup, ping, etc, etc, etc).

Any one know why I cant successfully add this user to my contact list?

Thanks.

Peace. Love. Linux.

Ahhhhhhhhh, it is the other way around, isnt it, the other server can not find my server. Yes?

Or, it can find my server but it can not contact it (ie: firewalled, etc, etc). Yes?

I think I have my DNS records posted correctly. The domain is sjobeck.com, if someone would be so generous to double-check my work. The server is actually innsbruck.sjobeck.com.

I think this may be one of those where I need to actually type this thing out in order fo it to stick in my head and I apologize for that to you all for having to bare with me for that. I think I’'m almost there.

I have tcp/5269 & tcp/7777 open to the world & here is some output form the server, if someone can spot wherein lies my issue:

line

at org.jivesoftware.wildfire.server.OutgoingServerSession.createOutgoingSession(Ou tgoingServerSession.java:288)

at org.jivesoftware.wildfire.server.OutgoingServerSession.authenticateDomain(Outgo ingServerSession.java:140)

at org.jivesoftware.wildfire.server.OutgoingSessionPromise.createSessionAndSendPac ket(OutgoingSessionPromise.java:126)

at org.jivesoftware.wildfire.server.OutgoingSessionPromise.access$300(OutgoingSess ionPromise.java:37)

at org.jivesoftware.wildfire.server.OutgoingSessionPromise$1$1.run(OutgoingSession Promise.java:91)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(Unknown Source)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

2006.05.02 22:08:17 Error creating secured outgoing session to remote server: jabber.org(DNS lookup: jabber.org:5269)

org.xmlpull.v1.XmlPullParserException: could not determine namespace bound to element prefix stream (position: START_DOCUMENT seen stream:error@1:14)

at org.xmlpull.mxp1.MXParser.parseStartTag(MXParser.java:1816)

at org.xmlpull.mxp1.MXParser.parseProlog(MXParser.java:1479)

at org.jivesoftware.wildfire.net.MXParser.nextImpl(MXParser.java:331)

at org.xmlpull.mxp1.MXParser.next(MXParser.java:1093)

at org.jivesoftware.wildfire.server.OutgoingServerSession.createOutgoingSession(Ou tgoingServerSession.java:288)

at org.jivesoftware.wildfire.server.OutgoingServerSession.authenticateDomain(Outgo ingServerSession.java:140)

at org.jivesoftware.wildfire.server.OutgoingSessionPromise.createSessionAndSendPac ket(OutgoingSessionPromise.java:126)

at org.jivesoftware.wildfire.server.OutgoingSessionPromise.access$300(OutgoingSess ionPromise.java:37)

at org.jivesoftware.wildfire.server.OutgoingSessionPromise$1$1.run(OutgoingSession Promise.java:91)

2006.05.03 00:34:50 Error creating secured outgoing session to remote server: jabber.org(DNS lookup: jabber.org:5269)

org.xmlpull.v1.XmlPullParserException: could not determine namespace bound to element prefix stream (position: START_DOCUMENT seen stream:error@1:14)

2006.05.03 00:46:29 Error creating secured outgoing session to remote server: jabber.org(DNS lookup: jabber.org:5269)

Not true, Gmail’‘s server must simply be able to connect back to your own server. So, if a user user@chat.domain.com tries to add user@gmail.com, gmail’‘s server must be able to resolve the IP address of chat.domain.com, and port 5269 must be open so that gmail.com’‘s server may connect to chat.domain.com’'s jabber server.

at org.jivesoftware.wildfire.server.OutgoingServerSocketReader$1.run(OutgoingServe rSocketReader.java:91)

at org.dom4j.io.XMPPPacketReader.parseDocument(XMPPPacketReader.java:290)

at org.xmlpull.mxp1.MXParser.nextToken(MXParser.java:1100)

at org.jivesoftware.wildfire.net.MXParser.nextImpl(MXParser.java:75)

at org.xmlpull.mxp1.MXParser.more(MXParser.java:3025)

at org.xmlpull.mxp1.MXParser.fillBuf(MXParser.java:2971)

at java.io.InputStreamReader.read(Unknown Source)

at sun.nio.cs.StreamDecoder.read(Unknown Source)

at sun.nio.cs.StreamDecoder$CharsetSD.implRead(Unknown Source)

at sun.nio.cs.StreamDecoder$CharsetSD.readBytes(Unknown Source)

at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(Unknown Source)

at java.net.SocketInputStream.socketRead0(Native Method)

java.net.SocketException: Socket closed

2006.05.05 00:12:12 Finishing Outgoing Server Reader. No session to close.

at org.jivesoftware.wildfire.server.OutgoingSessionPromise.createSessionAndSendPac ket(OutgoingSessionPromise.java:139)

java.lang.Exception: Failed to create connection to remote server

2006.05.05 00:12:12 Error sending packet to remote server:

2006.05.05 00:12:12 OS - Time out waiting for answer in validation from: jabber.org id: 2497627366 for domain: sjobeck.com

2006.05.05 00:11:52 OS - Sent dialback key to host: jabber.org id: 2497627366 from domain: sjobeck.com

2006.05.05 00:11:51 OS - Connection to jabber.org:5269 successful

2006.05.05 00:11:51 OS - Trying to connect to jabber.org:5269

2006.05.05 00:11:51 OS - Going to try connecting using server dialback

2006.05.05 00:11:51 OS - Plain connection to jabber.org:5269 successful

2006.05.05 00:11:51 OS - Trying to connect to jabber.org:5269

Above is the DEBUG capture from just now. It looks like I am a lot further along. It looks like I no longer have a server name/hostname/domain name issue. It looks like my server is communicating to jabber.org, where the user I am trying to add lives. It doe snot look like the jabber server at jabber.org is replying in any way. This leads me to believe there one of two things: the filter is blocking tcp/5269 from the world; or that jabber.org cant find my jabber server listening at innsbruck.sjobeck.com and that would be a DNS issue.

Is there any one who would be able to shed some light on this for me and or confirm my latest theory.

I think I am on the verge of crossing this huge one off the to-do list & would be quite grateful.

Thanks.

Peace. Love. Linux.

So, this is a server-to-server configuration issue, not really true to the original title of the post about HOWTO add external contacts to our internal roster.

I forge on, undaunted.

I think that this thread, at least for me personally, has gone as far as it can. I have now moved over to:

http://www.jivesoftware.org/community/message.jspa?messageID=120040#120040

If you would be so kind as to jump over there with me, that would be fantastic.

I think we’'re so close. I hope so.

Thanks very much for your time and insights.

Jason Sjobeck

Hey support,

I think that your DNS server is not correctly configured. It seems that you don’'t have SRV records for sjobeck.com. Searching for xmpp-server.tcp.sjobeck.com or jabber.tcp.sjobeck.com failed.

Regards,

– Gato

Ah, thank you for pointing-out, I entirely mis-configured DNS, must have been too late that night & bleary eyed. I know better than that. I just edited the zone file & think I’'m there now.

Our vendor doesnt offer SRV yet, so I cheat by using TXT records, which I hope will work. We’‘ll see. I’'ll report back with that result.

Thanks.

jason@sjobeck.com

FYI

Which is half of a good example. It shows the DNS record perfectly, but it also shows the directing of clients to the root zone of the domain name, which the client would most likely do on its own anyway, yes? I am sure that they did this to be thourough, which I do as well, but they have not done this to direct clients at a FQDN like example.jabber.org.

My situaiton, or I think the situation that a lot of us are in, is that we need to direct our WAN-based clients to jabber.sample.com and that is why the publishing of these SRV records in external DNS is so important.