How much can wildfire handle?

&gt You can run this product on a 400 mhz PII, I

> do not believe any of the shrink-wrapped products can

> even claim to run on twice that much CPU.

yeah, it’'s a bit strange that a PC that cant serve one user as a desktop is serving hundreds as a server

> One thing that you may want to try, as I do with all

> of my *nix server installations, is do not load

> non-essential items. In that I mean, all of the

> do-dads even in *nix now that are not needed for

> proper running of the server. Leave the GUI stuff at

> home, heck don’'t even load a window manager, server

> side doesn’'t need one anyway. And tune the kernal to

> not load any service or item that would play with

> performance.

Yes. mc is the maximum GUI is needed for the server Kernel tuning is the only thing i’'m skipping for now. Too much “hacking” for me

Hi Oleg,

kernel tuning seems to be something completely different than service tuning, and I think Jeff did mean service tuning. Running some services like sendmaild, snmpd, imadp, nfsd, apmd, samba, ftpd, telnetd, sshd on a server may make sense, but if you don’‘t want to use telnet there’'s no need to install or start it.

The linux kernel is very small and one may extend or shrink it by adding or removing features like NTFS, QoS, … support. A tuning like this will usually speed up your server from 0 to 1%. I think one should compile the kernel anyway to remove everything which is not needed as this makes the kernel more secure, and less code contains less bugs.

LG

Hi Menno,

what is the content of the file? Does it look like[code]-Xms64m

-Xmx256m[/code]?

If it does, are you using the service or is it possible that you need a wildfire.exe.vmoptions file?

LG

i use wildfire.exe

so next step? plz

Hi Menno,

as you using wildfire.exe to start Wifi you should create wildfire.exe.vmoptions with the content mentioned above.

LG

ive done that but nothing happens!!

Hi Menno,

maybe you want to add also -verbose:gc to your file so it has three lines and looks like this:[code]

-Xms64m

-Xmx256m

-verbose:gc[/code]

So if you start wildfire.exe you should see some output in the Wifi Window.

Is it possible that you did save the file as wildfired.exe.vmoptions.txt file? If you are hiding the extensions of known files this may have been happened. The Explorer would display the type as “Text Document” and not as “VMOPTIONS File”.

To fix this open a cmd (Start, Run…, Open: “cmd” and enter there

cd /d %programfiles%\Wildfire\bin

ren wildfired.exe.vmoptions.txt wildfired.exe.vmoptions[/code]

LG