How to connect using a public domain! (Port: 5222 is opened)

I’ve searched all over the internet. Found some suggestions relating to update the DNS records on public domain (www.mydomain.com) but I couldn’t get it working.

Well, I’m not an expert, but I would like to know the steps to setup a Public Domain with openfire to get it working and allow users to connect to server using the domain as server from outside.

Thanks already…

(Note: Port: 5222, 5223 is opened)

Erm…there are a lot of steps and things to consider to answer this question. It’s akin to asking “How do I setup an email server?”

Assuming you already have the public domain name, firewall and openfire server then you need to:

• create a DNS A record for your openfire server (myopenfire.mydomain.com)

• create NAT rules on the firewall to redirect requests from the A record to the chat server’s internal IP address

• create firewall rules to allow XMPP and openfire specific traffic

Each of those tasks could be a project all by itself depending on your current skill level.

I’ve already created a DNS A record using the Public IP address of my machine.

I would like to know how to determine the Internal IP address of the Chat’s server!

It’s a weird situation. You know how to create DNS records, but you don’t know how to check computer’s IP address Well, depending on the OS launch a cmd or terminal window on that chat server and type ipconfig or ifconfig. Machine’s IP address would be somethere along the information. Seriously, maybe you should find network admin to do such stuff.

If your chat server only has a public IP, then there is no need to NAT or do anything with the internal IP’s. Though it is not very wise to let the server be on the open Internet without any firewall or DMZ.

I have configured everything but still unable to connect. I read somewhere about SVR records. What I want to know is if it’s necessary to configure?

XMPP does also work without the SRV records. ut it makes things easier, so you should configure them in your zone.

Hi Shin,

In my experience, I needed an SRV record, and a few other things:

1. Rename your Openfire server name to “yourdomain.com

2. Recreate server certificates (self-signed are good enough for testing purposes at least)

3. Restart your server

4. Point both *.yourdomain.com and @yourdomain.com to the ip address of your machine. Well, actually, it *might *be that the “@” is not needed given the next step, but I did it.

5. Create an SRV record. Create actually two records: for _xmpp-client , and another for _xmpp-server. The required details of the SRV records are in 2 postings of mine in this forum in this location: http://community.igniterealtime.org/message/222667

Hope this helps,

Guy