How to create an online client session from within a plugin?

I am looking to have a user, similar to a chatbot, that lives within a plugin. I am able to use the smack api to create a connection without an issue, but I would like to not have the TCP connection open if possible. My question is from within the plugin how can I have this “automated” user, showing as online/available, and avoid the unneeded I/O of the TCP connection from smack?

My JavaDoc searches have led me to some of the classes like LocalClientSession, but I haven’t been able to determine if that will do the job I am looking for.

If you don’t mind using GNU licensed code, have a look at the Botz plugin.

You’ll find the original Botz plugin code submission here.
HospitalBot.rar (6540393 Bytes)

Excellent, this is all a personal project so no issues with GNU licenses. I will give this a try, thanks!

I was able to get this up and running yesterday and leveraged your packet receiver to enable interaction. The bot shows as online and is available so that is perfect.

I looked through the code and I can see that I was close from what I was doing. Extending the VirtualConnection and handling the login() functionality was what I was missing. However, this plugin will serve its purposes for my little project as I am more focused on the AI of the bot itself. Very cool plugin, thanks for sharing. I will mark as solution.

As the old Botz framework continues to generate interest, I thought it best to revitalize the project. It now has a Github repo and proper Maven releases!

More info in Botz: Internal Bot Library for Openfire - #27 by guus