Botz: Internal Bot Library for Openfire

Hi Guys,

Anybody get this library working with opefire 3.6.3?

Best

Mark

Scratch that, got it working.

Does anyone have this working successfully in 3.6.3? What’s the trick?

Dont think there was a trick in the end, i just followed the above procedure and made sure the bots library was dropped into the openfire installation lib dir as far as i can remember

Thanks, Mark. I was having trouble building the parrotbot plugin from eclipse. Turns-out I had two issues:

1. I had to comment-out the two references to @Override – I think this is because we’re implementing an Interface rather than subclassing another class – I don’t think @override annotations apply to Interfaces (but I’m not certain)?
  2. I was both including the botz-openfire.jar as part of the plugin project and as part of the openfire server… I think it was causing problems, so when I just used the botz-openfire.jar as part of the plugin jar, everything behaved.

Hi edalessio, glad you got it working. I have found it to be quite a handy library, pity it has not been updated in a while, but im happy once it still works.

Hi… can anybody tell me if parrotBot 3.4 works with current version of openfire 3.6.4, earlier I used this bot with Openfire 3.2 everything went smooth But rite now I am trying to attach the bot version 3.4 to openfire recent version and it seems problem with presence subscription, I am getting this packet inside parrot bot class:

and bot is not coming online in contact list of user test1

Pls tell me if anyone has come across this issue, currently I am debugging it.

Dyat, I got it working in Openfire 3.6.4 without problems. I do login with an existing bot-user though, and it is important that the bot-user itself is subscribing to other peoples presence.

However, this plugin does not end gracefully. Even if removed from the Plugins-list (during development for instance) the bot remains in memory and responds.

Hi,

Sorry im a newb but,

Im trying to get the parrotbot to work in netbeans and I am having import issue with the followig:

import org.jivesoftware.openfire.container.Plugin;
import org.jivesoftware.openfire.container.PluginManager;
import org.xmpp.packet.Message;
import org.xmpp.packet.Packet;
import org.xmpp.packet.Presence;

It says package does not exist.

What can I do to fix this, is there another plugin I need to download, Ive already loaded the parrot

botz-openfire-3.4 jar into the projects library?

If anybody Could please Help…

Hey

I have got the parrotbot to work 100%. I am new to openfire and using plugins and bots. I am trying to modify the parrot bot source code but nothing happens. Instead of the repeating whatever I say I want the parrot bot to tell me the time. Any ideas? Like I said I am new to plugins and bots.

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Hi,

Anyone have success trying the parrotbot with openfire 3.7.0. It seems to install fine but the actual bot session never starts.

Any and all help appreciated.

Best

Mark

I am using openfire 4.0.1 installation has been done But Bot isn’t coming online please help…?

Hi,

Is a IQHandler required to handle incoming IQ packets? I am getting message packets when the incoming packet is an instance of Message but not so in the case of IQ, kindly clarify if am missing anything.

I am unable to download the botz jar file from this page. From where do i download this jar file please.

Have you already tried the attachments to this link:
https://igniterealtime.jiveon.com/docs/DOC-1130

Did you manage to get parrotbot working. I have it running and can talk to it directly from Spark client, but unable to get the parrot to join room(s) automatically. My bot should join silently and respond to users. In my case, users join a workgroup (fastpath) from WebChat clients. An agent attached to the same same workgroup accepts a join request to start chatting with the user.

This may be slightly OT. I gave up on this approach and used the Smack API instead to create a chat bot / automated user.

That chat bot can be run independently / outside of Openfire.

1 Like

Are there any example (open source) Smak chat bot code around?

if this Bot library plugin is already done by you then I would like to use it for my site gb whatsapp if it is possible without having a Openfire.

It is amazing to see how this project, after a decade and a half, is still functional and generating interest!

Sadly, apart from archives passed around on this forum, the sources of this project seem to have been lost in time.

To facilitate further development, we have now created a new source code repository for this project: https://github.com/igniterealtime/Botz

We have minimally modified the project, and created a proper release from that, which we’ve dubbed 1.1.0. That can be downloaded from the Github repository, but is also available in our Maven repository, under https://www.igniterealtime.org/archiva/repository/maven/org/igniterealtime/openfire/botz/botz/

You should be able to use something like this in your Maven project to pull it in:

<dependencies>
    <dependency>
        <groupId>org.igniterealtime.openfire.botz</groupId>
        <artifactId>botz</artifactId>
        <version>1.1.0</version>
    </dependency>
</dependencies>

<repositories>
    <repository>
        <id>igniterealtime</id>
        <name>Ignite Realtime Repository</name>
        <url>https://igniterealtime.org/archiva/repository/maven/</url>
    </repository>
</repositories>

So far this is all very early days (even for a project this old)! Please bear with us while we fine-tune things, and perhaps further develop this project. We very much welcome your input!

1 Like

We now have a section on our website for the Botz project!

1 Like