How to install Kraken IM Gateway?

Hi,

yesterday I installed a Jabber Server for the first time in my life. So far things work fine. Installed a few plugins. Now I tried to install the Kraken IM Plugin, downloaded a few versions of the 1.13 Beta but everytime I put it in there, the Server console shows a long error and so. Is there something different in how to install this plugin ?

Here the error:

log4j:ERROR Could not instantiate class [net.sf.kraken.util.Log4JToOpenfireAppender].

java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: net.sf.kraken.util.Log4JToOpenfireAppender

at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)

at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)

at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)

at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)

at java.lang.Class.forName(Unknown Source)

at org.apache.log4j.helpers.Loader.loadClass(Loader.java:179)

at org.apache.log4j.helpers.OptionConverter.instantiateByClassName(OptionConverter .java:320)

at org.apache.log4j.helpers.OptionConverter.instantiateByKey(OptionConverter.java: 121)

at org.apache.log4j.PropertyConfigurator.parseAppender(PropertyConfigurator.java:6 64)

at org.apache.log4j.PropertyConfigurator.parseCategory(PropertyConfigurator.java:6 47)

at org.apache.log4j.PropertyConfigurator.configureRootCategory(PropertyConfigurato r.java:544)

at org.apache.log4j.PropertyConfigurator.doConfigure(PropertyConfigurator.java:440 )

at org.apache.log4j.PropertyConfigurator.configure(PropertyConfigurator.java:367)

at net.sf.kraken.KrakenPlugin.setLoggerProperty(KrakenPlugin.java:284)

at net.sf.kraken.KrakenPlugin.(KrakenPlugin.java:61)

at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Source)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.Class.newInstance0(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Unknown Source)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.container.PluginManager.loadPlugin(PluginManager.java :420)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.container.PluginManager.access$300(PluginManager.java :80)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.container.PluginManager$PluginMonitor.run(PluginManag er.java:1067)

at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Unknown Source)

at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRunAndReset(Unknown Source)

at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.runAndReset(Unknown Source)

at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.access$101 (Unknown Source)

at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.runPeriodi c(Unknown Source)

at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.run(Unknow n Source)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(Unknown Source)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

log4j:ERROR Could not instantiate appender named “openfire”.

log4j:WARN No appenders could be found for logger (org.jivesoftware.util.log.util.CommonsLogFactory).

log4j:WARN Please initialize the log4j system properly.

Starting Monitoring Plugin

Only comes up when this plugin is in the folder. Sorry for the n00b question but I didnt find anything about that so I hope its ok to ask.

Wolfseye

Simply STOP the openfire from console or the control panel and START again. It will resolve your issue.

Hmm, I did that. Started all up again and the same error shows on the console after restart. However I got into the plugin settings and could even activate, for example, the MSN transport. Added myself as user for this Transport and on my phone (with Xabber) I got the notification from the transport that I had several emails on my hotmail account unread. So it works basically. But I dont see any of my contacts online under that transport tab, and yet they are online I tested with an other messenger.

How come I can’t see my contacts but clearly am connected to my MSN account, otherwise it wouldnt notify me about emails on my Hotmail.

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers

Wolfseye

If you are using WINDOWS, you might face a lot of issue due to latest version of openfire and the beta version of Kraken. Honestly if I tell you, I faced the same thing until yesterday I downloaded Virtualbox, installed Ubuntu and using openfire from virtualOS and till now I dont have any issue. Now why I switched because I was running FB transport and once if i signout and it reconnects only gtalk transport and not FB. But now both are working fine after shifting to Ubuntu. Its a tough install in Ubuntu but its good. Don’t use latest ubuntu use 10.04 or earlier version.

Thank you for your reply. I understand what you mean but for me its just a bit testing things out, dont need Facebook transport for example or Gtalk. For now it works as it is. I just hope that the fact that I dont have any online MSN contacts in my list here dont mean that this is one of the issues you are talking about. If its not, then I might have missed something. I dont know. I am new to this.

Used Whatsapp on my phone so far but recent discoveries concerning the security of that let me to leave Whatsapp behind. I am using Jabber for years already on my PC, and now also on my Phone. Good to be able logging into the same account with different devices at the same time. Though there is something I came across I dont know if its just me not knowing enough of Jabber. Its also a bit off-topic from what this threadt is about.

When I am logged into the same Jabber account from for example my phone, my Tablet and my PC. I noticed that at some point when a friend of mine wrote to me, the text only came up on the Tablet but not on the PC. Is there something one must setup for that or is that just normal ?

Sorry for being so noob.

Wolfseye

Yes it happens with me as well. If i am online on Gtalk through PSI, MY PHONE & Ubuntu IM client. I receive the messages only on one side. But yeah I never missed offline messages atleast, i think it is normal and I am OK with it.

Thank you, but the issue with the MSN not showing my contacts in Jabber, is that part of the Windows Server issue you mentioned ? Or is there more I need to do. I remember from when I last time added transports to my other messenger accounts on another Jabber Server, after I subscribed to that transport, I saw my friends in the list.

As i told you earlier, that this is the reason i switched to Ubuntu and installed openfire there so I should not have any issues with Kraken IM plugin. When I had openfire on Windows, once I am logged out from PSI and i was never able to connect to FB , honestly i didn’t try MSN but I am sure that installing and running openfire from Ubuntu will definitely help you out. I have seen many changes after switching to Ubuntu’s openfire.