How to "join" an IRC chatroom

Hi All,

First of all, great work on the gateway plugin. I use msn, yahoo and ICQ and so far it’'s looking great!

Secondly, I’'ve been able to join an IRC chat room using a “join #room” when communicating with the IRC Transport, but I was wondering if there was another way: eg joining a conference room, or adding a contact?

Thanks,

Trev

tg wrote:

Hi All,

First of all, great work on the gateway plugin. I use msn, yahoo and ICQ and so far it’'s looking great!

Secondly, I’'ve been able to join an IRC chat room using a “join #room” when communicating with the IRC Transport, but I was wondering if there was another way: eg joining a conference room, or adding a contact?

=D Wow, you know i didn’'t actually expect anyone to try joining a chatroom using the “command line” interface so to speak! Anyway, GATE-12 refers to the eventual support for groupchat/muc. For now, there is no support for that. =/ Adding a contact is only really half done. I created an issue for it: GATE-126 in case you want to track it.

jadestorm wrote:

=D Wow, you know i didn’'t actually expect anyone to try joining a chatroom using the “command line” interface so to speak! Anyway, GATE-12 refers to the eventual support for groupchat/muc. For now, there is no support for that. =/ Adding a contact is only really half done. I created an issue for it: GATE-126 in case you want to track it.

Groovy. I’'ll track both of them.

IRC is not a biggy for me, but to have it all in one client is a beautiful dream

Keep up the good work.

Cheers,

Trev

Wow, you know i didn’'t actually expect anyone to try joining a chatroom using the “command line” interface so to speak!

Wow, this is weird. I tried doing a join #roomname on efnet this morning to a couple rooms even before i saw this post :).

I also joined from another client to watch what went on with the transport session.

I noticed that my transport user was listed in the channel. So that was good.

I noticed that any conversations within the channel became private conversations in a tab in the irc window to my transport person. So if person XX said “hi” it became a “hi” in a private message back to my transport person. I could then type in “this is a test” and the person XX would get that message in their private msg window.

Just some early observations.

Client used was Miranda.

See ya.

hi … i’'m sitting in front of my pc and wondering how i could join a chatroom … (using psi)

if i chat “join #roomanme” to the transport contact there comes nothing back … so … howto join any room?

Groupchat (joining IRC chatrooms and other protocols) is not supported yet. See GATE-12. The join #room was just sort of a sneaky way to get around it by speaking the actual IRC protocol. Not something I would recommend doing “for real”.