How to logon to the Jive Messenger

I am new to this so the question may sound stupid. I just downloaded the Jive Messenger and trying to write a flash client.

It seams my flash client can connect to the server, but when I try to send message, the connection get closed.

I think this may have something to do with the user account. I have user created, but the users’’ status always show as offline in the admin colsole.

To send the message, the user has to be online, right? So my question is how and where does a user login to the Jive Messenger server?

Welcome newuser,

First off, you may want to read this other url=http://www.jivesoftware.org/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=13461thread[/url], specifically the last post by Guido which provides a fix for a problem with the XIFF library.

Once you established a connection with the server you will need to send an available presence indicating that your client is available for receiving messages from other clients as well as from the server itself. Here I present two options to send an available presence:

Option 1: (does not require Guido’'s patch)

connection.send(new Presence( null, null, null, null, null, 1 ));

Option 2: (requires Guido’'s patch)

var myRoster:Roster = new Roster(connection);
myRoster.setPresence(null, "Online", 5);

You can follow this url=http://voisen.org/archives/flash_mx/000408.phplink[/url] to see an example that no only connects with the server but also joins/create a group chat room. Note: You will need to change the server and username to use (look for the “CHANGE THESE SETTINGS” text), use the “flash” method and finally send an available presence when you receive the login event.

Regards,

– Gato

Gato,

Thank you very much for taking your evening time to answer my question. I am actually trying to write a flex client for Jive Messenger. Any sample for that?

Could you kindly give me some hint for the following questions:

1. After I installed the XIFFLib200B1.mxp, I can’t see any of the as files in my flesh en folder, where did they installed to?

Is there a place I can download the as files instead of mxp file? I need them to be in flex’s classpath. I downloaded the files from the central sample, but that is not the most updated the version.

1. I guess to chat, you have to create a chatroom, if my server is localhost, then the referenceServer would be reference.localhost?

2. Is there any document for development? I can only find the XIFF API, but no other documents for development.

Thanks again.

From the XIFF Library Version 2.0.0 Beta 1 README:

4. Usage All of the XIFF Library class files will be installed in
the default class folder for your Macromedia Flash MX 2004
installation. This means that they are immediately
available in your class path. To use any of the classes,
simply import the class that you need, such as: import com.mediainsites.xiff.core.XMPPConnection

On OS X, these .as files get installed at:

/Users//Library/Application Support/Macromedia/Flash MX 2004/en/Configuration/Classes/com/mediainsites/xiff

1. I guess to chat, you have to create a chatroom, if

my server is localhost, then the referenceServer

would be reference.localhost?

The default service name would be conference.localhost. You can always log into the Admin Console and change the default group chat service name.

1. Is there any document for development? I can only

find the XIFF API, but no other documents for

development.

You may want to follow these links to learn more about XMPP clients: XMPP | XMPP RFCs and http://www.jabber.org/.

Regards,

– Gato