How to make openfire servername and hostname same

Im unable to make the hostname and servername as same FQDN. my server’s name is (im). the domain name is domain.com , that is added as the primary DNS suffix. i gave the server name manually as im.domain.com, but the hostname generated automatically. is there any way to change it?

if i run setup again, will the data get lost? by making false on openfire.xml?

host running on win 2003 srv, db is mysql, openfire 3.6.3

Thank you in advance.

What do you mean host name? If you change the name of the server after it has been in use you will lose data. Well not lose but the data will be linked to JIDs for the old server name.

Hi Gnana,

you may want to fix your DNS entries or edit /etc/hosts / C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file and change there the hostname / server name.

You should not change the xmpp.domain name of Openfire which you are currently using.

LG

the openfire server assumes the host name as the computer name ( but not the full computer name with domain suffix). for example, my computer name is IM , the domain suffix is mydomain.com. so that my full computer name will be IM.mydomain.com. but openfire assigns the host name as IM only. Is that affect the external login to openfire using spark? Spark logins now but the fastpath not loaded on the client. please advice. thank you.

That is correct. Openfire during the configuration only reads the computer name, not the FQDN. You need to manually change this. Yes it can affect some of the more advanced features of openfire (SSO, Fastpath, etc) if you do not use the FQDN. You can change the name easily by re-running the config, by editting the openfire.xml setup tag to read false. After restarting the server you will need to delete the old certificates (and possibly generate new ones if the server has not done so already). You can manually edit this setting as well by changing the server name, xmpp.domain, and server certificates via the admin interface. Making this change can affect access to any stored data (profile info, avatars, chat logs, etc). If you use LDAP the effect will be less.