How to recognize all jabber contacts as MSN users?

Hello!

Can anyone give some heads up, on how to make the IM Gateway recognize all my contacts as MSN users?

I want to use my home installation of OpenFire just as a MSN Gateway for iChat. Therefore all my Jabber Contacts / Jabber ID would be MSN contacts at the same time. This makes the @msn special domain superfluous and I would like to get rid of it.

Has anyone attempted something like this or can actually give some advice on that?

Thanks for your time and reply!

Chris

This is not possible. The gateway plugin merely acts as a bridge to the legacy chat protocols. You need a vailid account with each protocol for any data to be handed off. Secondly the client you use needs to support the plugin. I do not know if ichat can even do this.

Hi Todd!

Thanks for your reply!

iChat works perfectly with the IM Gateway! I’ve been using it for quite a while now in both environments. (One Server that is really used for Jabber Communications with IM Gateway as an extra and my home server that i really only use for IM Gateways)

I assume that in theory, i could make this happen by having OpenFire believe all domains are local and belong to MSN as Service and so on… looks like something very complicated for my limited skills… Will probably give up on the idea

Thanks for your Input though!

Chris

I just confirmed with the developer that ichat will pass gateway data for preconfigured accounts. beyond that I do not think what you are trying to do will work.

Thank you very much for your help Todd

Well… then I think it’s time for me to try this client-side (iChat)…

Have a nice week!