HOw to set the IP address or can Wildfire listen on more than one IP addrs

I have a public and private address on my server, I want to have both. I could find the answer int he docs or on this forum so I thought I would ask.

Dan

I believe the default is set to listen on all addresses (that’‘s what it’'s doing here for me).

How does your server have 2 different addresses?

If it’'s behind a router or other NAT provider, you need to forward the ports on that to the server.

Hi,

I think an example to bind Wildfire to just one address is in conf/wildfire.xml.

If you want to bind it to more than one address you must bind it to all interfaces and addresses, and this is indeed the default.

Another option would be to use a Connection Managers for the external IP address and bind Wildfire to the internal IP address. So the Web Admin interface would only be reachable from your LAN, no matter if you have a firewall or not. Anyhow the CM itself will use some memory.

LG

It is the NAT I dont have a bunch of servers. I did not word my question very well. If the default is to listen on all address I must look deeper and see whats going on. I took the server settings out of the admin tool for its word:

Server Properties

Server Uptime: 23 hours, 34 minutes – started Jul 28, 2006 9:16:59 PM

Version: Wildfire 3.0.1

Wildfire Home: ?:\wildfire

Server Name: littlebear

Server Ports

1: IP:Port, Security: 192.168.1.5:5269, NORMAL

Domain Name(s): littlebear

2: IP:Port, Security: 192.168.1.5:5222, NORMAL

3: IP:Port, Security: 192.168.1.5:5223, TLS (SSL)

This shows only one address the server has two.

Dan

I appears to be lisening on more ports than are listed in the system tool:

TCP 0.0.0.0:5222 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING 2496

TCP 0.0.0.0:5223 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING 2496

TCP 0.0.0.0:5269 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING 2496

TCP 0.0.0.0:7777 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING 2496

TCP 0.0.0.0:9090 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING 2496

TCP 0.0.0.0:9091 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING 2496

Task - Process

wildfire-service.exe 2496 <-- process ID

5222 - Unsecured/TLS connections

5223 - Traditional SSL connections

5269 - Connection Manager Servers

7777 - File Transfer Proxies

9090 - HTTP Web Administration

9091 - HTTPS Web Administration

Your wildfire server is listening on all addresses on the system.

Message was edited by: DreadWingKnight

drp wrote:

This shows only one address the server has two.

The address listed in the web interface is more of an educated guess than any real information. I’'ve instructed my installation to listen on a specific IP address, which works fine, but it still lists the main IP address of the system there. You can just ignore it.

He Andi,

I don’'t want to live with such display errors, one should create a JIRA account and then vote for JM-783 to get this fixed.

LG

I also don’'t want to live with such issues. If it is set up to listen on all IP ADDRESSES it needs to say that; additionally it appears to be listening on ports that it does not report such as TCP 7777 (at least it did on my system). If the admin console is going to list the address/ports it should list them all.

What it appears to me is the admin tool is doing a DNS look up of the hostname that was given in the original installation to find the IP address, nice and easy to code, but not always the truth.

Thanks everybody

Hi,

port 7777 is the file transfer proxy - you may want do disable it as long as you don’'t need it.

LG

Thats all well and good that Wildfire listens on all addresses and interfaces by default, but what do you do when you need to control which specific ip address it responds from? As with my setup, the traffic gets through the firewall to the WF server, but the return packet does not get out due to my NAT setup.

ie. You should be able to specify which ip address (even if multiple ip’'s are assigned to the same interface) that WF will use for both inbound and outbound connections for NAT purposes.

-Erik

Hi Erik,

Java should use the network default route, so it may be not possible to configure this. So I prefer to use a connection manager for xmpp and proxy for port 9090, and Wildfire on 127.0.0.1

LG