How to telnet to openfire server?

I’ve installed openfire on my Windows Vista laptop and was able to connect using the Pandion IM client.

I’d like to try some examples from the O’Reilly book where it suggests using telnet but I have not been able to successfully telnet in.

When I use putty to telnet to the server on port 5222, the connection is refused and I see a bunch of messages on the openfire console:

1831862 [SocketAcceptor-0] WARN org.apache.mina.common.support.DefaultExceptionMonitor - Unexpected exception.
org.apache.mina.common.RuntimeIOException: java.net.SocketException: Invalid argument: sun.nio.ch.Net.setIntOption
at org.apache.mina.transport.socket.nio.SocketSessionImpl$SessionConfigImpl.setKee pAlive(SocketSessionImpl.java:234)
at org.apache.mina.transport.socket.nio.SocketSessionImpl.(SocketSessionImpl .java:101)
at org.apache.mina.transport.socket.nio.SocketAcceptor$Worker.processSessions(Sock etAcceptor.java:283)
at org.apache.mina.transport.socket.nio.SocketAcceptor$Worker.run(SocketAcceptor.j ava:225)
at org.apache.mina.util.NamePreservingRunnable.run(NamePreservingRunnable.java:51)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.net.SocketException: Invalid argument: sun.nio.ch.Net.setIntOption
at sun.nio.ch.Net.setIntOption0(Native Method)
at sun.nio.ch.Net.setIntOption(Unknown Source)
at sun.nio.ch.SocketChannelImpl$1.setInt(Unknown Source)
at sun.nio.ch.SocketOptsImpl.setBoolean(Unknown Source)
at sun.nio.ch.SocketOptsImpl.keepAlive(Unknown Source)
at sun.nio.ch.SocketOptsImpl$IP$TCP.keepAlive(Unknown Source)
at sun.nio.ch.OptionAdaptor.setKeepAlive(Unknown Source)
at sun.nio.ch.SocketAdaptor.setKeepAlive(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.mina.transport.socket.nio.SocketSessionImpl$SessionConfigImpl.setKee pAlive(SocketSessionImpl.java:232)
… 7 more

Any ideas?

Thanks!

James