Howto - disable private chats from MUC?

Hello, I would like to know if it is possible to disable private chats from a multi user conference. I have set up several group chats at my openfire server, and I would like the users to not chat privately when using the conference service. Is this possible with some setting/switch? Thanks a lot for your help! (for background on this issue, see http://www.igniterealtime.org/community/thread/34015?tstart=0 ) s

hi,

I don’t believe there is any setting to control this. Sorry.

daryl

You can use the Packet Filter plugin to Drop or Reject any MUC PMs From and To anyone.

Hi, thanks, that might be what I need!

However I have problems configuring the filter. I’ve tried to set up two rules:

1. Reject - MUC private message (from anyone to anyone)

2. Pass - any type/message from anyone (assuming the filter will execute on the first matching rule)

But I have found that when rejecting private ‘MUC private messages’, normal private messages are also stopped!

Help on configuring this would be appreciated

thanks!

Trying moving the 2nd rule to the number one spot by using the sorting arrows. The plugin takes action on the first rule it matches.

Hmm

I’ve tried in both orders.

Assuming that I need at least one pass-rule to match in order for any message to pass (is this needed?), I put the drop rule for all and any MUC private messages first (assuming that the engine stops after first match), and then a pass for any other message as #2. Is this not correct reasoning?

Hello,

I am using openfire 4.0.2 and I cannot download Packet filtering plugin.

Is there a problem with my version of openfire or it is simply not compatible with it?

The protocol specification for multi-user chat defines that a MUC room can be configured to allow/disallow private messages based by the occupant role. Openfire will support this setting in version 4.1.0. See [OF-1150] Add support for muc#roomconfig_allowpm - IgniteRealtime JIRA

I am using openfire 4.0.2 and I cannot download Packet filtering plugin.

Is there a problem with my version of openfire or it is simply not compatible with it?

I’m able to download the plugin both from the website and install it in Admin Console. Not sure what your problem is.

I have managed to download and install Packet filtering.

Is there a step by step guide how to block Private Messages between the members. And is it posible to allow the admins to send and receive PM to/from all participants.

There is no guide. If you add admins to some group and then allow PMs for this group, it probably should work for them.