powered by Jive Software

HTTP error 500 during update setup

Hello,

today I finally got around to upgrading Wildfire 3.2.x to Openfire 3.3.3 on my Linux box. I tried to re-use as much of the previous configuration and account settings as possible. So I unpacked the files to a new directory, copied the configuration file, stopped the old server instance (and all transports) and started the new instance of Openfire. I could access the web setup pages, but the page /setup/setup-profile-settings.jsp gives me an error 500 with the following stack trace showing:

java.lang.NullPointerException
     at org.jivesoftware.util.JiveGlobals.deleteXMLProperty(JiveGlobals.java:492)
     at org.jivesoftware.openfire.admin.setup.setup_002dprofile_002dsettings_jsp._jspService(setup_002dprofile_002dsettings_jsp.java:75)
     at org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:97)
     at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:802)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.handle(ServletHolder.java:491)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1074)
     at com.opensymphony.module.sitemesh.filter.PageFilter.parsePage(PageFilter.java:118)
     at com.opensymphony.module.sitemesh.filter.PageFilter.doFilter(PageFilter.java:52)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1065)
     at org.jivesoftware.util.LocaleFilter.doFilter(LocaleFilter.java:65)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1065)
     at org.jivesoftware.util.SetCharacterEncodingFilter.doFilter(SetCharacterEncodingFilter.java:41)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1065)
     at org.jivesoftware.admin.PluginFilter.doFilter(PluginFilter.java:69)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1065)
     at org.jivesoftware.admin.AuthCheckFilter.doFilter(AuthCheckFilter.java:98)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1065)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.handle(ServletHandler.java:365)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.security.SecurityHandler.handle(SecurityHandler.java:185)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.SessionHandler.handle(SessionHandler.java:181)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandler.handle(ContextHandler.java:689)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.handle(WebAppContext.java:391)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandlerCollection.handle(ContextHandlerCollection.java:146)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerCollection.handle(HandlerCollection.java:114)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:139)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.Server.handle(Server.java:285)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handleRequest(HttpConnection.java:457)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection$RequestHandler.content(HttpConnection.java:765)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseNext(HttpParser.java:627)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseAvailable(HttpParser.java:209)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handle(HttpConnection.java:357)
     at org.mortbay.io.nio.SelectChannelEndPoint.run(SelectChannelEndPoint.java:329)
     at org.mortbay.thread.BoundedThreadPool$PoolThread.run(BoundedThreadPool.java:475)

This doesn’t look very healthy. Can anybody tell me how I can get Openfire up and running? Setup seems to be a common problem of Openfire since several versions. A clean installation on my virtual Ubuntu box (using the internal database for testing purposes) worked fine, but on my Debian server, upgrading never worked the way I imagined it. The last time, I needed to re-install and re-configure everything. Not sure whether I could at least save users and rosters. I mean, the new gateway plugin is really very nice, but if upgrading the Jabber server doesn’t work, I’ll need to stick with the working 3.2.2.

Umm, well, not sure what the problem was. But after reading other postings in this forum (I did search the bug tracker yesterday but as it said that I should report bugs in the forum, I forgot to search the forum, too…), I checked the file permissions on openfire.xml. They were wrong so I fixed them and upon the first access on the web interface, I didn’t even have to setup anything, I could just log in. So I guess the HTTP 500 error shouldn’t have been reached in the first place. I shouldn’t have seen the setup wizard at all, but see a message that my config file permissions are wrong since this obviously was the actual problem.