HTTP ERROR 500 java.lang.NullPointerException

HTTP ERROR 500 java.lang.NullPointerException
URI: /setup/setup-host-settings.jsp
SERVLET: org.jivesoftware.openfire.admin.setup.setup_002dhost_002dsettings_jsp
CAUSED BY: java.lang.NullPointerException
Caused by:

java.lang.NullPointerException
at org.jivesoftware.util.JiveGlobals.setupPropertyEncryptionAlgorithm(JiveGlobals.java:1098)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.admin.setup.setup_002dhost_002dsettings_jsp._jspService(setup_002dhost_002dsettings_jsp.java:254)
at org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:71)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:790)
at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder$NotAsyncServlet.service(ServletHolder.java:1411)
at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.handle(ServletHolder.java:763)
at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1651)
at com.opensymphony.sitemesh.webapp.SiteMeshFilter.obtainContent(SiteMeshFilter.java:129)
at com.opensymphony.sitemesh.webapp.SiteMeshFilter.doFilter(SiteMeshFilter.java:77)
at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1638)
at org.jivesoftware.util.LocaleFilter.doFilter(LocaleFilter.java:73)
at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1638)
at org.jivesoftware.util.SetCharacterEncodingFilter.doFilter(SetCharacterEncodingFilter.java:49)
at org.jivesoftware.admin.PluginFilter.doFilter(PluginFilter.java:226)
at org.jivesoftware.admin.AuthCheckFilter.doFilter(AuthCheckFilter.java:234)
at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1630)
at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.doHandle(ServletHandler.java:567)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.handle(ScopedHandler.java:143)
at org.eclipse.jetty.security.SecurityHandler.handle(SecurityHandler.java:602)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:127)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.nextHandle(ScopedHandler.java:235)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.session.SessionHandler.doHandle(SessionHandler.java:1610)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.nextHandle(ScopedHandler.java:233)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doHandle(ContextHandler.java:1377)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.nextScope(ScopedHandler.java:188)
at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.doScope(ServletHandler.java:507)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.session.SessionHandler.doScope(SessionHandler.java:1580)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.nextScope(ScopedHandler.java:186)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doScope(ContextHandler.java:1292)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.handle(ScopedHandler.java:141)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandlerCollection.handle(ContextHandlerCollection.java:191)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerCollection.handle(HandlerCollection.java:146)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:127)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.Server.handle(Server.java:501)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpChannel.lambda$handle$1(HttpChannel.java:383)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpChannel.dispatch(HttpChannel.java:556)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpChannel.handle(HttpChannel.java:375)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpConnection.onFillable(HttpConnection.java:273)
at org.eclipse.jetty.io.AbstractConnection$ReadCallback.succeeded(AbstractConnection.java:311)
at org.eclipse.jetty.io.FillInterest.fillable(FillInterest.java:105)
at org.eclipse.jetty.io.ChannelEndPoint$1.run(ChannelEndPoint.java:104)
at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.strategy.EatWhatYouKill.runTask(EatWhatYouKill.java:336)
at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.strategy.EatWhatYouKill.doProduce(EatWhatYouKill.java:313)
at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.strategy.EatWhatYouKill.tryProduce(EatWhatYouKill.java:171)
at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.strategy.EatWhatYouKill.run(EatWhatYouKill.java:129)
at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.ReservedThreadExecutor$ReservedThread.run(ReservedThreadExecutor.java:375)
at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool.runJob(QueuedThreadPool.java:806)
at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool$Runner.run(QueuedThreadPool.java:938)
at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:834)

Can you please share more details? What version of Openfire are you using? Exactly what did you do to generate this error?

The initial issue was that the openfire service will not start so I reinstalled Openfire 4.6. using RPM but I did not uninstall/remove the old version. I guess that was a wrong move.

I am now able to login to the Openfire Setup and doing the Server Settings but then it just goes to HTTP ERROR 500.

Server Settings

Below are network settings for this server.
*XMPP Domain Name: *
*Server Host Name (FQDN): *
*Admin Console Port: *
*Secure Admin Console Port: *
Property Encryption via:

Now, I am able to get past that error by just clicking on Database Settings on the left panel. Then again, I get an error;

A connection to the database could not be made. View the error message by opening the “/logs/error.log” log file, then go back to fix the problem.

Database Settings-Standard Connection
Database Driver Presets: MySQL
JDBC Driver Class: com.mysql.jdbc.Driver
Database URL: jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/openfire?rewriteBatchedStatements=true
Username: openfireuser
Password: •••••••

I think the whole application is a mess now. What I wanted to know right now, is how can I retrieve the last working configuration of openfire? I already setup the databases, ldap connection and all. I do not want to go through that again.

Part of the configuration that you want to retain is somehow corrupted. What you have will be stored mostly in a file called openfire.xml but my advice would be to wipe everything and start over. That might be faster than trying to recover the broken environment that you have now.