Hyperlink to local file paths

Hello,

We are using Spark 2.5.8 on an internal only network and would like to be able to provide hyperlinks to local files. So User1 wants User2 to review a file they would type in ‘F:\directory\filename.ext’. Currently it works if you type in file://f:\directory\filename.ext. However, it does not work if there is a space in the file because there is no ‘hyperlink’ function in spark (like in Pidgin or others) which will protect the special chars.

1. Is there a way to allow users to send hyperlinks to local files without typing file:// in front of the drive map? (I know I can use UNC paths but the users won’t want to do that. We use DFS and some of the paths are long)

2. Is there a way to protect special chars in the string (mainly spaces) without having to type '%20" instead of the actual space char?

3. Is there a way on the server that I can replace any instance of :<the rest of the path> with file://:<the rest of the path>

I see that there are filters and I was wondering if there is a mod_rewrite type function I can take advantage of.

Thanks,

X

Just curious if this forum is moderated on a regular basis. Is there a better place to ask this question?

What do you mean by moderated? Where is at least one person watching the forums and fixing technical problems and probably he also can delete some abusive content if such happens here. But this is a community forums, we are all just users here (except for a few Jive employees, but they are not coming here very often). And there is no policy that someone should check and answer every thread. You’ve got some attention (117 views), but obviously there is no person able to answer your questions, so far. Such complicated questions often stay with no answer as there are not many coders or Openfire internals experts. No big difference where to ask, though personally i think this should be addressed on the client side, that’s why i suggested to move this thread to Spark forums.

One crazy idea which came up to me is maybe to use Content filter plugin to change drive letters to UNC links. Maybe this can be some kind of a workaround.

Also, can you possibly try the experimental spark installer with the latest code. Maybe the latest Spark will support links better. There were some changes in that area, though maybe this wonlt change your issue. http://www.igniterealtime.org/community/docs/DOC-1822

If you are using Linux/Firefox you may want to run this command because the Spark code refers to Netscape as its default browser:

Firefox:

ln -swhich firefox/usr/bin/netscape

Konqueror:

ln -swhich konqueror/usr/bin/netscape