I don't appear

I’ve been using JIVE/Wildfire/OpenFire for years and other than a few little issues it has been great. But I have one issue that has been dogging me for almost two years: I don’t appear in my user’s roster. My account/login is “adam”, the console shows me as available/away/offline correctly, and it lists me in a group. All groups are published to all user’s rosters. Everyone in all the groups, including the group I am in (“cis”), appear and work correctly; except me. Even show-offline-users in Spark or Gajim doesn’t show me. Our webdeveloper has watched the traffic and the server never publishes any presense updates from me, available or unavailable, nothing; but the console DOES show the correct presence.

Am I disabled somehow? Where can I look? I’ve hunted through the console, the database, etc… and I can’t find anything that looks different from any other user.

OpenFire 3.5.2 on CentOS5 using LDAP authentication & groups.

Sounds like you are having the same problem I am - But, I have a total of nine users this is happening to.

I have noticed that all of the subscriptions in my roster are “to” while everyone else’s are “both”. And I receive presence updates, no one receives my presense, so I guess this makes sense. But why did it get set this way and how can I change it? Since the groups are from LDAP the edit doesn’t seem to work, it just crashes with:

org.jivesoftware.openfire.SharedGroupException: Cannot remove item from shared group
 at org.jivesoftware.openfire.roster.RosterItem.setGroups(RosterItem.java:348)
 at org.jivesoftware.openfire.admin.user_002droster_002dedit_jsp._jspService(user_002droster_002dedit_jsp.java:110)
 at org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:97
 at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:820)

which seems a little odd since I don’t want to remove an item from a shared group, I just want to change the subscription.

Or maybe this is a red herring and my problem lies elsewhere?

Ok, I stopped the server; removed myself; started the server; - and I do not appear as a user - stopped the server; added myself; started the server. I now appear on the user list again… and everything in my roster is still TO and not BOTH. What the (@@((@&$* controls the subscription??? Is there any documentation on this anywhere? Searching the forums I find lots of posts with issues just like and never any solutions.

I dont know of a real solution for you. But as you speak about the subscriptions, can you try the Subscription plugin and set all subscriptions to automatic accept? See if that changes anything. And i think maybe something in your database is corrupted (related to your username). What if you create you absolutely new username?

http://www.igniterealtime.org/projects/openfire/plugins.jsp