I need help with setting up a openfire server

Hey,

I have an older unit sitting around that I need to use to setup a chat server for my company. I would need this box to be able to hold around 5k-10k connections at the same time with gateway support using either spectrum or kraken to connect to outside network chat on facebook, yahoo, aim, so on… What i dont know is if it would be possible with the current specs availible to me. and if so how would you go about getting this done. I dont need any video or file sharing but i would also like to possibly use fastpath for live help… I would also like to use jappix mini as the client on my website and any help with it would be great as well…

Specs availible to me at the moment:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Extreme quad-core QX9770 Yorkfield 3.2GHz LGA775 136w

Ram: 8GB DDR3 - 2000 (PC16000)

HDD: 2x ADATA XPG SX900 ASX900S3-256GM-C 256GB SATA III MLC (SSD) 550MB/s-Read 530MB/s Write

HDD: 2x Western Digital RE WD3000FYYZ 3TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s

RCC: HighPoint Rocket 640L PCI-Express 2.0 x4 SATA III (6.0Gb/s) RAID Controller Card

MB: EVGA 132-YW-E180-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 790i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard

INS: Average 33.76Mbps Down and 4.87Mbps Up

Any help would be awesome, and i’d be very thankful…

hahaha… 5k-10k with external gateway support. I doubt it would work on that single system.

I mean I’m not sure what i can push this system to do… Some people report being able to get even more with use of connection managers… But for sake of conversation what can i expect reasonably to be able to get out of a system with those specs and what could you suggest to be able to get the 5k-10k??

Honestly not all users will be given gateway support… i would say only a 3rd will be able to use external gateways…

That machine just for Openfire it should be fine with some fine tuning, but everything (database, openfire, connection manager) on the same server it’s too much.

so would it be safe to assume that if i add another machine to the system i can pull it off? I have another amd phenom II quad-core box with 8gb of ram box laying around as well…