powered by Jive Software

iChat client mass disconnects

I have an interesting problem here. At random points in time, I get a large number of iChat clients disconnecting for no apparent reason - all at the same time!!! Other clients (Pidgeon, Spark, etc) are not affected by this. I lovingly call this an “Openfire MacQuake”. The frequency is random, sometimes it happens a number of times per day, sometimes it does not do it for days at a time.

To summarize my environment…

We have an Openfire Server (3.6.4) internal using a Connection Manager externally (both on Windows 2003 Server), we force SSL for clients, and we use Active Directory for user and group management.

I have scoured the logs, I have scourered the Internet, I have scoured these forums but I haven’t really found anything to help me understand what is happening…

I have debug logging enabled and nothing of obvious interest turns up - obvious in that it leads me to clues that are useful. However, I did find some logs that COULD be interesting only because I see a number of affected users in there… I will append those logs to this message in case they are useful and pokes someones memory/knowledge.

I have read a lot about the idle timeout and I have that set to -1 (disabled). Given that this is a mass disconnect and not client specific, I doubt that setting would have any bearing here… But you never know…

Today, I ran across a thread about port 5223 being needed by some iChat clients, so I opened the port in front of the Connection Manager. Since the iChat clients were able to log in prior to this change, I doubt that port would have any bearing here, but you never know…

Has anyone else ever seen this before?

Thanks folks!!!

Scott

Here are the logs…

2009.09.04 10:30:04 RoutingTableImpl: Failed to route packet to JID: someuser@company.com/Nimbuzz packet:



2009.09.04 10:30:04 RoutingTableImpl: Failed to route packet to JID: someuser@company.com/Nimbuzz packet:



2009.09.04 10:30:04 RoutingTableImpl: Failed to route packet to JID: someuser@company.com/Nimbuzz packet:



2009.09.04 10:30:04 RoutingTableImpl: Failed to route packet to JID: someuser@company.com/Nimbuzz packet:



2009.09.04 10:30:04 RoutingTableImpl: Failed to route packet to JID: someuser@company.com/Nimbuzz packet:



2009.09.04 10:30:04 RoutingTableImpl: Failed to route packet to JID: someuser@company.com/Nimbuzz packet:



2009.09.04 10:30:04 RoutingTableImpl: Failed to route packet to JID: someuser@company.com/Nimbuzz packet:



2009.09.04 10:30:04 RoutingTableImpl: Failed to route packet to JID: someuser@company.com/Nimbuzz packet:



2009.09.04 10:30:04 RoutingTableImpl: Failed to route packet to JID: someuser@company.com/Nimbuzz packet:



2009.09.04 10:30:04 RoutingTableImpl: Failed to route packet to JID: someuser@company.com/Nimbuzz packet:



2009.09.04 10:30:04 RoutingTableImpl: Failed to route packet to JID: someuser@company.com/Nimbuzz packet:



2009.09.04 10:30:04 RoutingTableImpl: Failed to route packet to JID: someuser@company.com/Nimbuzz packet:



2009.09.04 10:30:04 RoutingTableImpl: Failed to route packet to JID: someuser@company.com/Nimbuzz packet:


So, the “from=” users (a@, b@, c@, etc) are the iChat clients that end up disconnected. someuser@ is unknown at this time.